Organized Chaos

What makes this image expressive?

I first felt elation. These kind of images make my heart jump. I know that is now what most people experience. My feelings went from elation to the realization of the passing of time and how perfectly it was expressed by these group of trees. You have the ones still green and fresh, the ones whose colors are peaking and the ones that have gone through the cycle and are now just trunks and branches as they have lost all their leaves.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’d like to get helpful feedback on it.

5 Likes

Thanks Martha, and always great to see the Nature First avatar…

This is a very interesting photograph and I think your own words have done a great job at finding meaning in a bunch of trees. Isn’t this the irony of landscape photography; we, as humans, walk into it and we take all our pain, suffering, perspectives, beliefs and values with us. We find ourselves in nature as a projection of those values.

As I have posted a few times this week; some people only see trees. Some people will feel elated at the yellow leaves, perhaps that is why they went; leafers.

You are different. You are creative, and you do not just see trees, or yellow leaves, you see the cycle of life, metaphors and meaning. Life and death, our mortality and the futility of holding on too long to a moment that wants to pass.

I do see this a little as an image of two halves, but you have specifically mentioned the very green leaves on the far left and the transition through yellow to bare. Transitions of detail, tone, luminosity, contrast or colour are excellent way to pull a viewer through a frame and take them on a journey. The right side is quite bare and sparse, but I like it.

Nice one, and thanks for the opportunity to have a little emotional rant! :wink:

1 Like

Thank you so much for the feedback @Alister_Benn I enjoyed the “emotional rant” as you put it. It is how I see the image. I appreciate your time with it. I wonder if perhaps I should have cropped the left side (green) so it is not unbalanced. There is still some green at the top and bottom of the image in the middle.

1 Like

You are most welcome. I’d try a 4x5 from the right. I think that will give the image a more contained, coherent and classy feel. Thanks again for your art.