Our Barn Owls Are Back

One of the first projects my wife and I worked on together 14 years ago was building this Barn Owl box. At that time, I was just coming down on weekends as I worked 70 miles from here and had an apartment up there. I still remember her calling me about 2 weeks after we put it up to tell me that she’d seen owls going into it. They’ve raised broods in it nearly every year since then. Normally, they are very circumspect and don’t come out until full dark. However, the hunting must not have been very good with the heavy snow we had last weekend and a couple of days ago, I looked out the kitchen window and saw this owl sticking its neck out. I grabbed the camera and went out to the back porch to try for a shot more for record than anything as I knew I had to be much closer for anything really good. And that’s what this shot is: not very high image quality, but a nice record that they’re back for yet another year.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 600 mm, hand held braced against door frame, f/8, 1/200, iso 4000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Neat Image for noise reduction. Taken at 5:20 pm on February 13th. A fairly large crop.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

They are fascinating looking creatures! Nicely captured peek.

What a fun moment you caught, Dennis. It’s nice to know that lots of people like you play host to our feathered creatures. I’ve seen lots of Osprey roosts in Florida provided and maintained by organizations and locals. Oddly that snow on the box resembles an oversize wing :wink:

Thanks, Bill. When I was researching box designs, I think I remrmbrr running across a group in Florida promoting barn owl boxes for rodent control in orchards. It wouldn’t surprise me to have an Osprey build on top of one down there!