Over the Hills & rework

Reworked, not sure if you can tell…

Description: The clouds were perfect in the sky a few days ago and I even had a Turkey Vulture flying around!

Specific Feedback Requested: Anything

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D3400, 125mm, 1/1000, f/5.6, ISO 100, cropped 16x9, and converted to black and white and adjusted blacks, whites and contrast

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

The clouds are indeed very beautiful. I would remove the bird due to it’s small size in the middle of the frame.

1 Like

Thanks for looking and your feedback @Igor_Doncov. I’m not sure, I totally understand about the bird. It’s supposed to be small, kind of like paintings where they have a bird or 2 in the distance. Is it more where he’s at and not so much the size?

Those are great clouds, and B&W is a good choice to showcase them. I like your composition, there is a nice balance to the three primary horizontal layers in the image. I also like the range of tones that you have in the trees, they look great. My only processing suggestion would be darken the sky slightly for a bit more contrast there.

Regarding the bird, i think you are going to get a range of opinions on this one. I personally think it works well either with or without the bird. If forced to choose, I’d ask the question, which is more important to you, emphasizing the clouds or emphasizing the bird? Despite its small size the bird has realtively high visual weight (primarly due to it’s dead center position). With the bird, the clouds are slightly less important. If you look at this from a pure landscape perspective, one might exclude the bird to emphasize the clouds more. But you seem to like birds in your landscapes, so I think there is nothing wrong with leaving it there either.

1 Like

Hi @Ed_McGuirk & @Igor_Doncov thanks for your feedback and suggestions, I darkened the sky just a tad but I’m not sure if it makes any difference. I’m sorry @Igor_Doncov I just can’t make myself erase the Turkey Vulture! I love Turkey Vultures so much it’s hard enough for me to delete all the bad pictures I have to of them! Haha! They’re like my babies. Thanks for looking and your thoughts both Ed and Igor!

1 Like

Yes! Hang on to what you love…each image is just a small step on a long journey.

1 Like

The Turkey Vulture gives the scene a sense of scale, Vanessa. The subtle darkening of the sky is fine. I am a fan of B&W so, this works nicely for me.

1 Like

Thanks @Jim_McGovern and @David_Bostock for looking and your thoughts. I really appreciate it!