Overarch - Re Work

Re-work:
Darkened snow patch in the foreground, took color out from the red willows in the mid-ground and brightened them to reduce their contrast.

A beautiful mid-fall morning in the rockies. Subtle colors as the sun peaked in and out if the ever moving cloud cover after a snow storm.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is welcome.

What i am interested in is:

1. How did the image make you feel?
  2. Do you think the subject is clear?
  3. Is there anything in the image that you feel is distracting from the main subject as you see it? If yes what is it?
  4. Do you find the editing subtle or overdone?

Any other feedback is welcome :smiley:

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony a7ii
Tamron 70-300 lens @70 mm
F11
Iso100
Forgot what the shutter speed was :sweat_smile:

@arefalragehi
3 Likes

I feel relaxed, and the subject is clear. It is the pastel appearance that appeals to me. The red twig dogwood or willows (not sure which or if something else) while probably accurate, in keeping with the pastel nature could be toned down a bit rendering a more subtle image without the very slight distraction. A beautiful image.

Thanks Jim.
I agree i think those red willows could be made less distracting

Aref,
The pastel colors make this a very inviting image for me and the light on the BG peaks is flat out gorgeous. My only suggestion is the same as @Jim_Gavin about those red bushes because they are so bold while the rest of the scene is subdued. The reflected color in the water is another wonderful element in the image.

1 Like

What gorgeous, subtle colors. The pink reflection in the water is wonderful. For me, that foreground patch of snow really stands out and competes a bit much with the dramatic mountains. Perhaps toning down the snow patch and brightening the mountain a bit, to equalize them more, would reduce that impression.

1 Like

This is what stood out the most for me. It answers question 3 where the main subject appears to be the mountains but the circle of white competes with it. Maybe you can darken it but the shape itself makes it inherently dominating.

1 Like

Thanks @Igor_Doncov i have not paid attention to that what so ever
I guess i must be more observant in the field
What about the shape if you don’t mind sharing more that is demanding? And how can we mitigate that besides eliminating it all together?

I like this quiet and very classic image! The pastel colors make it all, and also the format (reminds of large-format) works very well. I would probably also reduce the strong red of the willows, just a bit. In fact, I personally do like the competition between the mountain and the foreground snow - it seems to me it gives more interest to the image…

1 Like

This is a really, really nice image. Unlike the others, I really like the red bushes.

In retrospect, I probably would’ve zoomed/moved in a bit tighter to eliminate some of the dead space under the patch of snow, and I think this would have also made the red bushes a stronger leading line into the pine. Just imho, hindsight is always wonderful huh? Thanks for sharing!

Hey thank for the feedback @swartzfeger
I could have zoomed in, in fact i did and i have some other shots where i isolated the peak as well as tried tighter crops.
For me this one won my heart, i liked the reflection on the water and to my eyes the curves of the river lead into the photo.

Thank you all
Your feedback is always appreciated
I did post a rework, very small changes but i think it balances the image better?

I just love the background! For me, I’d crop it square and hang it.

1 Like

Hey Aref,

I will dare going against the flow here, and suggest to get rid of the pond/snow and leave the image from the trees up. My feeling is that the shoreline in the middle divides the image, leaving the viewer grappling with basically two images. For me the interesting part is the mountain behind, with the ridge line and the clouds behind it. Everything else is another (probably equally beautiful) image :slight_smile:

1 Like

A recent book I’ve read, Art and the human brain, showed studies that the mind is more attracted to circular shapes than any other. Any round shape will draw attention. Here you not only have a round shape but a bright one.

Thanks for the explanation
I will keep that in mind. I

I do have a close up on the mountain but perhaps you have a point because the tree line does break the flow of the image.
Although one could argue the reflection of blue and subtle pinks from the sky on the river connects them both