Pacific Herring Eggs

The eggs of the Pacific Herring while not completely transparent, do allow for the color of the underlying substrate to show through. Here’s a colorful example complete with a snail and a few scales. I liked the variety of colors in the scene and the diagonal that the reddish toned sea weed made. Richard

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any and all.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any and all.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Olympus EM 2.2, 60 mm macro lens at f/10, ISO 1000 and 1/80. A camera mounted LED was used. The LED proved very useful since the continuous light allowed me to shoot at a high frame rate. The high rate ensured that a few frames would be in focus given that I was shooting handheld. Cropped to about 75% of original.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Richard, as I looked at you earlier Herring post, I was wondering if you’d tried an eggs & seaweed abstract. This does that very well. The eggs really stand out but they’re supported very nicely by the colors in the seaweed and that snail shell. A fine result for a hand held shot.

I really like this. It can be difficult to get shiny, wet things like seaweed and eggs just right, and you did a great job of getting these just right. Color, detail, sharpness all are excellent. The colors come through really nicely. Well done!

A lovely abstract, Richard. The eggs make a neat continuum and all the colors coming through add variations that are quite interesting. The snail really adds a lot.

Richard: A great find and superb capture. Looks like tiny marbles. Most excellent.>=))>

Very cool abstract here. Looks like a bunch of arranged glass beads in a bowl. Outstanding color.