The Other Egg + Repost

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another photo of the egg. This one in color and different angle. Ying and Yang approach I guess…

Specific Feedback

Natural light and kept the shadows natural. I used vibrance to bring out the color and contrast filter was used…

Technical Details

Natural light and heavy cropping.

Gill, color works well for me, revealing the difference from inside to out. The placement of the broken pieces within the shell is a nice touch. I am wondering, in your processing, do you do some kind of digital art to the subject? I’m trying to figure out the texture I am seeing in the shell. With the placement of the open shell, I am wondering if it might be more visually appealing if the shell was more to the right, giving more room on the left? Just a thought.

The texture is natural. Contrast probably gives it a different look.
I cropped it several times. I think you are right. I’ll take another look at it.
:camera_flash::camera_flash::camera_flash:

Hi Shirley I may have add a touch of Oil Paint to this photo. Can’t remember.

Thanks Shirley Your were right. I overlooked the cropping !!!

You are welcome, Gill. I think that looks better.

Yes. Thanks. Always listening and learning and correct mistakes.

Peace to you. :camera_flash::earth_americas::pray::earth_americas::camera_flash:

1 Like

is there a way that this image can replace the other image in portfolio. better cropping thanks to Shirley bringing this to my attention…

Gill, actually we don’t replace the original image with the edited version. By leaving the original image it gives viewers the opportunity to learn from the critiques and edits. We normally let folks know that a newer version has been added by added to the title something like “+repost”. To do that, you click on the pencil next to the title, and type +repost or updated and then click on the check mark below the title. I can do that for you now.

If you can do that……I would appreciate it.
Thanks :earth_americas::camera_flash::pray::camera_flash::earth_americas:

I did. It’s in the title now. :+1:

Much better cropped, with the egg opening having some breathing room. This is one of those so-called artistic filters – maybe a paper texture? It’s not exactly really bad but to me those things just jump out as a slap-on effect. If you do it in a separate layer in PS you can modify its strength with the opacity of the layer, and do local adjustments with masks.

This is a good idea to pursue further, when you run out of mushrooms. It could be pleasing to have a more simplified version with fewer crushed pieces cluttering up the inside of the shell. A little more breathing room top and bottom give you more leeway to crop or un-crop.

Thanks! I think I used slight Oil Paint just to see what happens. Create a little more textured.
I’m working on landscape in the future. Trying to get to Jekyll Island to photograph the drift wood forest. Got some ideas in the future. Looking at all the amazing work and photographers on the Network has really inspired me.

Thanks again for showing interest

:earth_americas::camera_flash::pray::guitar::pray::camera_flash::earth_americas:

That place is on my bucket list!! Do good!! Don’t crop you initial captures too close, or at least bracket about 100 crops. Electrons are cheap! Cropping is for when you get home and calm down.

Gill, the details in the egg look great in color, especially with all of the broken pieces. It’s clear that you’ve added texture as an artistic effect. I’m thinking that showing this as a vertical (assuming there’s space above and below) would fit the shape and lighting of the egg nicely.

When you repost, it makes seeing the changes easier if you add the new version to the original post (use the multiple images button). Then when someone goes to the large view they can use the arrows to immediate switch between views.

I thought it was added to original post. Just below.

Thanks for showing interest.