Painted Hills

I like the John Day Fossil Beds in the spring (especially if it has been rainy) because the clay absorbs water and the colors are more saturated. The lighting was not exactly diffuse but somewhat subdued and backlit. I took many photos because I kept seeing so many compositions and it will take some time to sort out the keepers.

Specific Feedback Requested

Originally I really liked the foreground as I thought it helped push your eye up into the more interesting formations. Now, I am not so sure. I appreciate any feedback.

Technical Details

Canon R5, 100-400mm @ 150mm, 1/400 sec, f/11, hand held. Local contrast adjustments in PS

Don, what a fantastic image filled with interesting shapes and color. I enjoyed your natural processing here. I would suggest including the foreground but perhaps cropping off the bottom a bit. I would crop it to where the blue colored line starts near the bottom center of the frame. That would provide a nice curved line that repeats in the main subject.

Great image, Don. Amazing textures, shapes and colors. I agree with Alfredo’s suggestion regarding cropping the image

There is a lot to like here.
My eye keeps “getting stuck” on the lower right for some reason. I wonder if you were to burn that a bit if that could help force the viewer into the more interesting parts of the scene. With flat light like this it is a blessing and a curse because you have full freedom to emphasize areas but also there’s no light to provide the viewer with an area of interest, so some creative dodging and burning might help in that regard to help produce flow.

Hi Don, this is a terrific image from one of my favorite Oregon locations. Well done. I do think the crop suggestion results in a stronger/more focused image. Nice to see and I look forward to seeing more from your trip.

This is a great take from that great location. I too like Alfredos’ crop suggestion; I like both of your originals but I think that would hit the sweet spot in the middle. Glad to hear you have more coming!

Great take on a well known location Don. The colors look spot on. Saturated, but since you got the rain, it’s appropriate. There are a lot of little intricacies in this. I really like the curving white line in the upper portion of the image (trail?) that takes the eye right through to the back hill. The upper left section with all of the lines both horizontal and angled downwards and the colors are beautiful. I don’t mind the foreground at all but if you were to crop it I would suggest something in between the two images you’ve posted.

Thank you for you comments and suggestions. I re-cropped, burned the lrc and I like the resultant image.

Don,

Wonderful landscape from his famous location. I think the comp is solid and I appreciate the tempered colors and saturation - very natural looking so kudos on the processing.

No nits or suggestions as I really like your posted version.

Lon