Palouse in Color

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I love the way the Palouse region in eastern Washington State changes its look depending on the season. I have photographed it in both late spring (June in this image) when the colors are deep and saturated, and in September when it takes on an almost monochromatic appearance.

Specific Feedback

I adjusted the color saturation and white balance of the sky and foreground in Lightroom. To me it looks just right, but I would like to hear from anyone if they would make any changes. Any other suggestions would be most appreciated.

Technical Details

Screenshot (14)

Hi Ted,

I guess it must be awesome to live in that area and be able to shoot the Palouse (and also the Olympic National Park). Oregon is on my bucket list!

I love the play of light in your motive, but I would make a few changes, as I did on the downloaded file. At first, I asked myself: What is the image about? And what’s the main object? If it is the slopes and layers, then you could concentrate more on that. Therefore, I cropped the bottom, because there’s not a lot going on.
If the houses are the “cherry on the cake”, then maybe they should sit more in the middle. I took down the blue of the sky, as it seemed a bit over the top, and the clouds had strong blue fringes. At the same time, I tried to maintain the drama by darkening it.

To me those all these layers, and especially those two slopes coming from the left and right that are pointing into the center, are one of the most important aspects of your image. I strengthened the right slope with a bit of shadow dodging, so that they are leading the eye in the center. I also enforced the red part. To me like this it’s more about the layers. But maybe that’s not what you wanted to show, I don’t know.

I hope you like, what I did and my feedback helps …
Markus

1 Like

Hey Markus-
Much thanks for your suggestions. I really like the crop and the editing on the sky. I feel that it looks like an improvement to the image I submitted, and I will apply them myself. Could you specify what editing tools you used? Lightroom possibly, or Photoshop?

Hi Ted,

glad you liked my ideas!

I’m using LR for adjusting dynamic range and color temperature only. Then I take it into PS and do all the edits.
Markus

1 Like