Palouse

Front yard view

No idea other than gone to seed

Frosty aspen

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

No story. Just nice to be able to be out taking photos.

Specific Feedback

No specifics, but did a bit of over sharpening on the plant gone to seed.

Technical Details

All processed in Elements. B/W in post processing.

This is a wonderful set of favorites for the year Jim. The B&W conversion works really well and I particularly love the graphic quality of images #3 and #4. I find the last one to be quite lovely; the frost reminds me of some magical rim light.

Jim, these are great. It’s neat that what looks like the Palouse looks good in b&w, since it’s usually shown in color. The high contrast plants also work well with both having intriguing shapes that are well dramatized by the high contrast. BTW, the seed head is Queen Anne’s Lace. The “front yard view” looks like a big fire, close by.

Beautiful images, Jim. I especially like the first one with the grain elevator. The alternating tonalities in the bands of hills from the front to the back of the image are really nice.

@Mark_Seaver Thank you for commenting and identifying the seed head. @Ed_Lowe Thank you. There was a light wind that allowed some of the frost to drop off the branch and leaves.
@John_Kilgour Thank you. It is common for this view of the Palouse to be shot later in the year when all is so vibrant green. I also like it in very early spring when they is little or just a hint of green.

Wow I really enjoyed viewing these images just now!

The graphic qualities of #3 and #4 are excellent, and the Queen Anne Lace is just glorious! I really like that the BG is not uniform, especially on the right part of the image but I find that the round patch of dark grey close to the left edge may be a bit of a distraction?

I really like the composition in #1 - the hills roll like waves and the farm is like a floating boat! You did a great job with the tones here. If anything at all, I find that my eye escapes to the ULC. I did a rough closing off in PS. What do you think?

#2 is very interesting, too! If they are clouds, they look like smoke - and vice versa!

A fine series altogether!

@LauraEmerson No.1: I like what you did with the ULC… Does not draw attention like it did. No. 2: Yes, they are clouds. No. 3: That round patch does distract a bit. Thank you for noticing and commenting about it and for all your comments re: these photos.