Springtime in the Palouse

View from Steptoe Butte, The Palouse, Washington, USA, 8:07pm.

I know that many photographers have photographed from Steptoe Butte in the Palouse and there are more image posts than ever. This one, from 2010 was the last shot I took before the sun set. It’s always been one of my favorites.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 1Ds III, EF 300mm f/2.8, 1/13sec @ f/8, ISO 100, Tripod, Polarizer, purposely underexposed by 2/3 stop.

1 Like

The Palouse has always been one of my “really want to shoot there” places but I’m always there at the wrong time of the year…so I am quite jealous of this shot while at the same time praising it’s stellar beauty.

Hey David, the trees in the back make this one for me! I love the way the light is catching those. such a cool place that I would enjoy visiting some day!

David, I could ;ook at this for an hour and enjoy. The light is a great capture and the undulations are soothing. Really like this.

I’ve never heard of it, but your beautiful image makes me want to go there! This looks so magical! I love the rolling hills and the trees. If they get snow that would make this awesome! The lighting really emphasizes the beauty. Great composition!

Those Palouse images often seem surreal to me. It’s those green undulating fields with trees popping up here and there. All done in high contrast. Perhaps it because it doesn’t have the chaos of nature. But it’s not that they are just tidy. They just look unreal.

Beautiful shadows and contours and color. A really excellent take on the location! No nits here.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I am planning Spring and Summer trips next year, Virus permitting.

Very, very beautiful. Love that the trees are in bloom and the shadows. The seasonal changes are quite dramatic in the Palouse. Late Spring (early summer) is the most dramatic IMO, but the other seasons have their beauty. This photo of the same area was taken this year in April. Crops were just beginning to show.

1 Like

Very cool shot, Jim. Yes, I love going up there. I haven’t been in winter or early spring like this. I’ll post another shot from the Summer harvest tomorrow…

Cheers,
David

I’m hoping to get there in a couple weeks. It’s only about 3 1/2 hours from here.

1 Like

Great composition and colours. A wonderful choice of lighting.

Simply spectacular David. One of the better Palouse shots I have seen. The landscape has such an organic, almost sensual look to it.

Wonderful photo.
I like the composition very much here. Nice light and colors.