Summer Harvest in the Palouse

This was taken a few months after the Springtime shot I posted a couple of days ago. It’s really amazing how the landscape changes so much in such a short time–4 months. Taken from Steptoe Butte like the other one.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Fujifilm GFX 50S, 250mm f/4 + 1.4 Ext, 1/90 sec @ f/11, ISO 100, Tripod, Polarizer

3 Likes

Really neat shot! So those hills were crops?! What kind? I really like the multiple tractors making dust trails and the brown colors of the hills! Do you live near this place? I hope you can get a winter scene!

Hi Vanessa, thanks. The Palouse area is in central eastern Washington State. It’s about a 5 hour drive from Portland. The crops they plant up there are mostly wheat and a few other colorful varieties. This shot is of them harvesting the wheat. They plant in early spring and by May/June the hills are green and glorious. Over the summer the wheat matures and harvesting usually begins in August. There is a high butte called Steptoe Butte that you can drive up to the top. You can get magnificent panoramas and vistas of the countryside and all the hills. It’s a fantastic place to go. I do want to go sometime in winter. My next trip will hopefully be next May and then August. I plan to spend a week there each visit. So much to explore.

1 Like

What a change in color from springtime. This is super - the framing of the combines is perfect.

Nicely done. Agriculture sure has changed. The color you’ve caught is so interesting. Amber waves indeed.

Awesome! Hopefully by then things will be better!

Strangely, when I did a download for edit on this image, it came in as a monochrome. Anyone have any ideas as to why?

I’m really enjoying this image. I have never seen the Palouse in person but would love seeing it. Also I haven’t seen it in conditions like this at harvest and it just looks great. Really nice work David!