Pareidolia

original image

Oceanside at Blowing Rocks Preserve near Tequesta FL. Shot in color but wanted to play and practice with b&w. “Pareidolia is a physiological phenomenon where the mind perceives an image or sound where none actually exist.”

Specific Feedback Requested

I got inspired to do something b&w after seeing Coles ‘ask me anything’ on NPN. I would like to explore more - I welcome any ideas or suggestions. Also, interested in exploring low key photos.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
iPhone 7 Plus back dual camera 6.6mm f/2.8
Processed with Affinity photo

1 Like

A very intriguing image. The long-necked guy on the right who has his forehead against the rock on the left exists for me forcing me to mentally create an image in the left rock to complete the whole image for me, if that makes any sense. (I can see or create several different images on the left). Great title. I prefer the cropped B/W version, but maybe straighten the water line with a little CCW correction?

Thank you for your comments Jim. When I took the photo i was only focused on the way the rock edges framed the ocean like a window. Later, I saw some faces. Then, when I was exploring b&w I saw many more faces. I have very little experience with B&W. But like I mentioned, after seeing Cole’s harbinger and Easter island images I want to explore it a bit. Cole Thompson - Why Black and White?

Great example of pareidolia!

1 Like

Although the original doesn’t concentrate on the face I like it more as a composition.

1 Like

Thank you Igor I was wondering about the quality of the original also. Thank you for your positive feedback about the composition. I have not done any editing on the original. I am just beginning to learn about editing (or post-processing). So if you have any suggestions I would be happy to hear them.

I agree with this comment, and I think the original converted to B&W would be a better image. The face is interesting, but the original is a better constructed composition.

I know you said that you are new to post processing. One of the reasons some photographers like B&W is that there is more latitude to push contrast for creative effect than you can in color images.

You need to be careful about pushing contrast too hard though or you can end up with strange artifacts. In your B&W version there are dark halos especially along the edges of the left rock. When you push contrast too much these artifacts become especially noticeable along edges between high contrast areas such as sky and rock. Where the left rock touches the sky, there is a dark line where your burning of the sky has bled into the rock, and you can see it other edges too.

Thank you Ed for your thoughtful and detailed comments. At first, when I saw this site I thought I had to submit a nearly perfect image because there are a lot of really really good images here. Now however I see that there is a strong teaching aspect and enjoyment of assisting photographers to grow from wherever they are currently at. That is great! I located the color distortion in the edges you pointed out - maybe they came from burning or from changing the contrast - I will be more observant in the future. l am learning that adjustments like burning and dodging and contrast seem simple, but to do it well is more challenging.
I posted a second B/W image where I pushed the contrast even further because I wanted to see the effect. It became abstract but I like the shapes. Generally, though I agree that a more natural image that retains context and reference points helps to ground the image in nature and makes it more pleasing in the long run. I appreciate your guidance to improve my photographing and editing overall with any image that I post.

These are some of the types of photos that I found inspiring and made me want to explore B/W a bit.

2016-10-5-Separation-No-2-Final-11-2-2016-1000-670x447 IMG_3440

That is certainly the case. There is a wide range of experience among the photographers here at NPN, and a good part of what goes on here in critique is teaching/learning. It’s good that you self-identified as a relative newcomer to post processing. That helps other members here target their critique and comments to your skill level. My approach is try to offer encouragement of peoples photography, but not to avoid pointing out technical issues where I think it might help someone to improve their skills. Constructive criticism in a critique setting is a gift, it can help accelerate your growth as a photographer.

1 Like

Those appear to be all Cole Thompson’s work. You might enjoy Chuck Kimmerle’s work as well. Their processing is similar but their images are quite different. Chuck is more of a risk taker.

https://www.chuckkimmerle.com/

Thanks Igor, I do like Chuck’s photos also. I am curious how is Chuck more of a risk-taker?
Yes 3 of the images are Cole’s. The 1st is Ansel Adams I think. And the last low key cat image, I am not sure. I like how Cole ‘isolates ?’ the whites and blacks so they are distinct .

I added a second BW image to NPN recently to explore BW editing further.

Chuck pushes the boundaries a bit more. In fact, I think that’s one of the pleasures he gets out of the medium. Many of his images leave you scratching your head as to what he’s after. Many are duds. But his better images are truly unique. He’s a risk taker because he doesn’t shoot cliche images. Neither does Cole but Chuck’s are more ‘out there’.

1 Like

Got it, I will look further at Chuck’s images. Thank you