Naturally Black and White

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Composition, Contrast OK?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D5090 16.0-80.0mm f2.8/f4.0 at 66mm (1/160 sec at f7.1, Iso 250) Levels, Silver Efex Pro 2 with High Structure Preset, Brightness & Contrast. This is a small part of a scene from the Norris Geyser Basin. Due to the mineralization from the hot springs, there was just a tiny amount of color and prompted me to go BW. …Jim

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

jameszablotny

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Great little small scene. The rock patterns are most enjoyable. It is very much personal taste, but I might bump the contrast by bringing in the blacks.

Jim, this really shows off the shapes and textures well. Even though it’s B&W, there’s an inviting warmth in the overall brightness and details.

It’s an interesting scene in that these rocks don’t really look like rocks to me. I like it that way and wouldn’t process this to bring back reality. I like the urc. Even though it’s different it adds to the composition nicely. I’m on the fence about the twig. Can’t decide whether it adds or detracts from the overall composition.

What an amazing find Jim. While the B&W processing here is very well done, what I like most about this image is the way the ice has created such an “embossed” look. It creates a very unique looking image. I went back and forth on the twig as well, but in the end, if this were mine I would remove it. Not because it is a distraction, but rather because I think removing the twig strengthens the framing aspect of that chunk of ice in the LRC, if you follow what i mean.

This is nice. Wish I had the eye to see this type of image. I think I agree with @Ed_McGuirk about the twig.
:vulcan_salute:

What a fascinating find, Jim. I am enjoying your processing as it has a very unique look to it; kind of reminds me of marble. My only suggestion would be to clone out the pine needle? toward the LRC. Wonderful image.

Jim,

Great choice going B&W me thinks. While there’s quite a bit of neutral gray going on, for me, I think enough contrast and certainly enough shapes and design to make this very engaging.

Small wish the pine needle/stick wasn’t there, but that’s very minor and actually does create a little diversity among the rounded stones/pebbles.

Nicely seen and captured.

Lon

1 Like

Nice array of shapes Jim. Black and white works well here.

1 Like