Parting Shot at Mesquite Dunes

After climbing to the top of the dunes in an evening wind, I was exhilarated by my first time there, and was dog tired as I lugged my gear and self toward the car hours later after sunset. I saw this scene and tried to ignore it, but it would not let me do that. The colorful sky is from blowing sand and smoke from a fire in the Sierras to the west. I ended up getting low to the ground and taking some exposures, two of which were exposure blended for this. I was even more exhilarated, as taking this was a fine experience.
Just re-processed it from scratch today; I think the result is my best image.

Specific Feedback Requested

I am not sure I have the overall brightness right, as my monitors seem to disagree on brightness today. The sand and rocks should be illuminated but subdued.
I am very interested in all tune-up suggestions for this. Thanks in advance.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: Yes
Canon 5DIII EF 24-105mm at 45mm 1/8 sec f/14 ISO 200
Photoshop to increase warmth and contrast. History brush used. TK7 to select and dodge some deep shadows.

knudson633
1 Like

So many elements to enjoy in this photo, Dick. Your perspective, the soft warm color and the way the composition leads me through the entire image right to the setting sun. IMHO, I wouldn’t change anything. The lighting works very nicely on my monitor. Nicely seen, captured and processed.

1 Like

Dick, what a wonderful scene and work processing. Interesting to me regarding how the dunes are there. Just went to Great Sand Dune NP and they are completely different there. Also can relate to climbing those dunes…but worth it. Very nice image. Hope to see more from there.

Thank you. Mesquite Dunes are apparently on an old lake bed, and in some places the silt rock is exposed. @Sarah_Marino and others find spectacular tile formations in this area, I believe, Mesquite is typically found where it can reach water, I am told.

This sort of scene is the “prelude” to the Mesquite Dunes, and you found a wonderful composition to show it. I think the lighting is fantastic and the exposure blending spot on – it looks perfect to me! My only suggestion would be to print and frame – BIG.

This is a beautiful scene. I especially like those tiles/rocks on the left. I like their placement in the frame, and also how they just sit there and blend into the sand. The composition is nicely balanced horizontally and vertically, and the colors look great. Yes, print this!!

Wow! What a beautiful place! I love the rocks and the distant mountains! You really captured the wildness of this place.

That’s often the difference between an early supper and a great image. I’m glad that you found the energy to give it one last push here.

This is a very different type of Death Valley sand dune image from what we are used to seeing here at NPN, and that’s a good thing. Excellent composition, with a strong foreground and mid-ground elements that create depth. I like how these elements seem to lead the viewer from one to the next, in a zig-zag fashion. And the sky color is great too !!

I’m enjoying this very much, nice work here Dick.

This turned out really well, Dick. It is a great different take on the DV dunes. I am not sure it would be an improvement, but the only potential adjustment would be to add a very light vignette to the bottom and lower corners. Might a fun experiment whether it works or not. Real nice image.

Thanks Harley. I added a small triangular vignette of the left bottom to just past 1/2 way across the lower edge; nothing on the right. I like the change.

This is indeed a different take on the Mesquite Dunes. They are almost always shot as compositions of shadow and sunlight patterns. What’s interesting to me is how the hard clay patterns seem to come in from the left and enter into the image. I suspect that’s what attracted you to make this image. There is a greenish cast to this image, which work for me because of the way it makes the left glow.

Thanks. Re “glow”, I certainly want the rocks to stand out. Or did you mean the left dunes or sky. I noticed that greenish tinge in a print of a prior version of this and wanted to be rid of it in this one. I wonder if my monitor hides it. Will recalibrate. Also will see if color balance ( +magenta ? ) will address it, but be mindful of the effect on the glow.

OK, I tinkered with it a little. The AdobeRGB version has a little less green tinge, but more significantly, I found that I was heavy-handed with the hue/sat layer. When I moderated green and yellow settings a bit, I am happier. Still, I wonder if blue-hour sky and yellow sunset light produce some green color in the whitish sand.

I believe you’re right. The evening sky is usually mostly cyan rather than blue. Shadows have the same tint as the sky so that may explain the greenish tint ( a mixture of blue and yellow ). That’s just a theory.

But just make it as it appeals to you. If there is one thing I learned from More Than a Rock it’s the flexibility of color usage.