Passing Squall Seilebost

Seilebost, Harris, Scotland

Gorgeous low angled golden sunlight raked it’s way beneath low clouds and painted the spectacular Harris coast with the most beautiful colours and textures. The tide had slowly subsided as the morning progressed leaving the rippled beach exposed and suitably defined by the low light. I waited until the passing rain shower ceased but enveloped the hills and island of Taransay beyond to show it off at it’s absolute best.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55 zoom, 0.3ND Hard Grad, f/13 at 1/15 Second, ISO 200

The colors are just marvelous here. Just a flawless image really.

Ian,

As Igor points out - the diversity of colors are beautiful. And not just the colors, but all the various elements here come together beautifully for a complete and whole image.

Question though, the long, straight shadow lines that go 3/4 across the bottom section of the frame… that is a shadow right? I find it mildly distracting; if anything the straightness seems out of place compared to all the natural elements. Or am I not seeing something correctly? Not an image killer, but thought I would mention.

Processing is wonderful.

Lon

Yes those lines are annoying aren’t they and I was fully aware of them when I took the shot but that light was just so good I had to take it. You see the thick lines are the legs of a biped and the thin lines are the legs of the tripod the biped was carrying. I guess I could work on it by blending it with another shot taken a few minutes after taken with greatly inferior light but I dislike using the best bits of more than one image to create one that most unfortunately never existed even though by virtue of unlucky circumstance. I guess I will just make do.

I wouldn’t have noticed the shadows of the biped and his/her tripod if I had not read Lon’s comment. I agree about the gorgeous light here, Ian. Very very well done.

I have heard good things lately about Fuji Color although some are saying that it’s not easy to replicate the in-camera JPEG from the RAW (with e.g. Velvia simulation, etc). Is that true from your experience, Ian?

I personally think the colour presented by the Fuji cameras from XT-1, 2 and 3 and for that matter the GFX 50 despite the latter not being X- Trans processor based, produces better and more refined colour as a standard (Provia) output jpeg than anything I have seen from Canon, Nikon or Sony, cameras. In some ways it is perhaps unsurprising as Fuji has had decades more experience of refining the colour output of film emulsions. I find the minor tweaking needed to be minimal and relatively easy.

I love the light and ominous sky Ian. Colors are wonderful too.

Ian,

I’ve decided to rent the XT-2 for a week, based upon your above comments, to test it’s color renditions. If all goes well I will move from Nikon to Fuji’s medium format camera. So, thank you for the comments.

Igor