Pastoral Scene

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

My wife and I were coming back from a few days on the Olympic Peninsula and saw a sign for a boat launch. Since we needed a bathroom break we stopped and I couldn’t resist photographing this scene straight across from the launch.

Specific Feedback

Since I don’t do landscapish stuff very often,I’m a bit at a loss of what to ask, so I’ll just leave it open for any suggestions people might have about processing.

Technical Details

Sony A7Riv, Sigma 28-70 f/2.8 Contemporary @ 70 mm, hand held, f/18, 1/125, iso 160, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Subdued some of the yellows in the buildings, brought up the reds and yellows in the trees and made a slight crop.

1 Like

Dennis, I too am out of practice with landscape images, so I can’t help you with advice so much, but just wanted you to know I understand why you pointed your camera in that direction. It’s a beautiful scene, and that one red tree just draws the eye to the buildings across the water. Nice reflections too.

Oh I’d have stopped, too. Can you imagine living in that house? Fantastic.

Landscapes are some of my bread and butter so I brought this into Ps and only used the Camera Raw filter to make some adjustments -

Hit it with an adjusted tone curve lifting mid tones, boosting highlights and lowering blacks - your basic contrast curve. Then I used the new Point Color tool to enhance some of the contours in the colors of the trees, sky and that little hill behind the trees. Not much change, but I think it helps brings more immediacy to the scene. I also used a radial gradient to boost the exposure and warm up the wb across the middle of the frame, leaving the upper and lower bits alone. At the end I boosted highlights overall because it seemed a bit flat. Hope you like it.

I like what you did to this, Kris. I haven’t played with then new Point Color tool yet-haven’t even gone on line to figure out “what-the-heck-it-does-and-how-to-use-it”. I’ll have to do that.

Here’s a good video from the irreplaceable Julianne Kost -

1 Like