Pause at the Waterhole

Hiking with the dogs on Thompson Pass near Valdez, Alaska and stopped for a drink at a high level pond. I’m not sure whether this is appropriate for the landscape category but it really is more about the landscape than the dog. If not, please move it to the Human & Fauna category.

Sony a6300, SEL1670Z @ 45 mm, ISO-200, f/8.0, 1/1600, hand held.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Gary, this is quite a striking scene. It looks rugged and chilly as well as inviting.

Looks good Gary and the pup adds to the immense scale of the scene. Well done…Jim

Gary, this is a great image, the light is wonderful. This shot is primarily about the landscape, so its fine for the category, if anything the dog adds a an element of scale to the image. In fact if you hadn’t mentioned your dog in your comments it might have taken me a little time to spot it, the dog is somewhat well camouflaged among those rocks. Both the composition and processing are very well done here. This is a very pleasing image that tells a nice story. Well done…

1 Like

Gary,

I echo just about everything Ed wrote - including the fact that I did not even notice the pooch right away. He/she is blended in pretty good. I was actually first drawn to the two triangular rocks just in front of the dog - looking like the smaller one was perched on top of the other - like a fat gull or something…:wink:

Wonderful mountain landscape. Colors, processing all looking quite excellent. and perfectly fine being posted here.

Lon