Peaks And Valleys

I made this one standing very close to my last post, but about 15 or 20 minutes later, when the dunes were fully lit.

D850, 70-200mm

4 Likes

This is a fabulous large scale abstract Harley. I am enjoying the light and shadow play as well as the fine texture in the foreground dunes.

1 Like

This is simply spectacular! The comp is exceptional and the BW tones and shadows are spot on. Well done!

This might be my favourite of this series Harley (although they are uniformly excellent). I love the soft, almost liquid flow of the shadows. This is an extremely complex composition that, in my view, achieves a perfect balance of light and shadow (not to mention subtle texture). Gorgeous work in post.
Tiny, tiny nit - that bit of shadow upper left corner. I might try cloning it out but bringing up the highlight of the ridge just a tad to maintain the separation between the two dunes back there. But, as I said, tiny, tiny nit. This is a real gem.

WOW, hard to pick between them all as the best overall, Harley. Which is obviously a good thing. Really very nice and no thoughts or ideas for change here from me… :+1: :+1:

With that black sky, this is an almost other-worldly looking interpretation of Death Valley, it makes me think I am looking at an alien planet or moon in deep space. I assume that is sky at the top rather than dune shadow (but I may be wrong. The graphic shadows add a starkness and simplicity to this image that I find very appealing. No nits from me Harley, just enjoying this very much as presented.

Impressive…there are so many spectacular images within this one image!

That is mountains in deep shadow rather than sky, Ed. I looked at the raw file and there is not much detail back there, so I let it go all the way to black from a dark grey.

Wow, excellent. I love the variety of tones in the dunes, and the subtle gradations between them.

1 Like

Definitely my favorite of the series. I love the wavy curves of some of the dune tops and the rich blacks contrasting beautifully with the highlights. This is just terrific Harley. If I could vote, this is the image of the week.

Harley, this is very dramatic. There are some fine textures and tone in the dunes, but I am finding the large amount of total black pretty overwhelming.

Nice dramatic image Harley . Personally I would lighten the sky a little - But beauty is in the eyes of the beholder - nice processing!

I agree with Ed. This does have a lunar appearance. I would slightly burn in the uppermost dune wedge on the left.

This is wonderful.
Very nice.

I missed this one – can only add another vote for how wonderful it is. This dune series is worthy of some very large prints! The B/W processing is wonderful and evokes something from an 8x10 view camera.