Peaks Entrenched

Image Description

It was a beautiful day and I was walking the dogs on the tide flats (the only snow free place to walk dogs in the Winter in Valdez) when I saw the reflection of the sun lit peaks in a small stream amidst the salt water grasses. It gave some nice brightness and color to the shaded foreground so I grabbed a shot. It’s these type of opportunities that make me carry a camera all the time while walking dogs!

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Any feedback is appreciated.

Technical Details

Sony a6300, SEL1670Z @ 31mm (46mm w/crop factor), ISO-100, f/11.0, 1/125, hand held.

2 Likes

I don’t blame you! I routinely take the camera in the backyard, especially onto the dock because I never know what’s going to come by. I really like the grasses in this - great textures especially with the bit of snow on the ones edging the water. And that’s a nice leading line even if it does compete with the mountains a bit. I could see a lift in the mid-tones helping this a bit - adding some contrast might give it a little punch. Keep on keeping the camera to hand!

Gary, this is nicely moody, with the bits of sunlight on the peaks and their nice/clear reflections in the tidal gut. I was going to comment on how deeply incised the stream is, but since it’s tidal, this is clearly at or near low tide.