Kumo

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

I’m sure there are numerous associations with this image. What are yours?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

This is the same Mustard Canyon subject as ‘It’ https://community.naturephotographers.network/t/it/40856but from a different point of view. I modified the color substantially because I didn’t like the yellow and white combination that it actually had.

Technical Details

GFX50R, 45-100mm, f/11, focus stacked

Specific Feedback

I’m looking for aesthetic, conceptual, and emotional feedback but mostly conceptual and emotional. Technical feedback is also appreciated.

Initial reaction is to be quietly astonished by this visual haiku. I am glad that you chose to keep the dark crevice in the lower right; seems to provide an anchor for an otherwise fine-textured scene.

My first reaction was that I was seeing an expanse of rock covered with lichens. It’s an interesting composition.

Igor,
I really have no idea what I am viewing, but I find it interesting and intriguing due to the various textures along with the color palette. My first reaction was some snow or ice on a rock face, but now I am not so sure. I too like the diagonal crack in the LRC as it adds a bit of visual tension to the scene. Nicely done.

Nice image with great textures and pleasing color palette. Nice composition with the slight diagonal tilt. I assume I’m looking at some ice covered rock or mud. Doesn’t really matter what the subject is. The image is all about other things.
:metal:

The white matter is borax, I think.

That was my second guess. Some kind of dried salt compound.

1 Like

Curiosity.

The thumbnail is eye-catching, but confusing as to what exactly this is. Opening it larger allows the eye to explore and satisfy; lots of intrigue.

I’m melting!

I love the color combination and the texture is amazing.