Peg Legged Bald Eagle

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I captured this image of a juvenile Bald Eagle in the winter of 2022 at a dam near Davenport, Iowa. The weather had been well below freezing for many days and much of the Mississippi was frozen, so Bald Eagles hung out near dams where the moving water hadn’t frozen yet. I didn’t realize this young eagle was missing his right foot until he landed on the ice by himself with his catch. He was very adept at walking and managing his catch, but some crows hung around him just in case he made a mistake. I have no idea how the injury happened or if he was able to survive.

Specific Feedback

As always with wildlife images, I am concerned with making the animal look natural but stand out from the background. Any suggestions would be must welcome!

Technical Details

Canon R5, Canon 600mm F4.0L EF lens with canon 1.4X extender on tripod
Settings: ISO 1000, 840mm, f6.3, 1/5000sec
Processed in Topaz AI, Adobe LR and PS: I slightly darkened and desaturated the background. I also added a little sharpening around the eye and face.

That is one tough bird Willem! What a great action image here. The missing leg is really shocking, but the eagle seems to get along alright without it. It always amazes me how wildlife can adapt to their circumstances and even thrive.