Fight or Flight

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

With our Arctic blast and consequent river freeze being followed up with warm air, my time for bald eagle photography in a local hot spot was potentially limited as a weekend hobbyist. The second day, I couldn’t make it out until quite late in the day and had pretty limited light due to cloudy conditions and the relatively early sunset. However, with the warm air moving in and the melting ice, it could be my only weekend so I went anyway. It wasn’t really ideal for quality images of birds in flight, but I really liked some of the beautiful light. It seems like a little something special.

The eagles were very active and very successful fishers that afternoon. In this particular scenario, two had fish when this third came in to try and steal one away. The other one flew off immediately, but this adult stood its ground. There was a little fancy work, and then the tussle was over. The theft was unsuccessful, and the young upstart had to find its own fish. :slight_smile:

Specific Feedback

Any. I always struggle some with balancing the brightness of an image with the (accurate) feel of it being late in the day.

Technical Details

I was shooting on a full frame camera at 560mm (400mm with 1.4x teleconverter). This limited me to f/8. I had it sent on 1/2000 sec to try and freeze any action/flight and hopefully get acceptably sharp images. ISO 1250 which I just let fall where it may due to the low light, faster shutter speed, and lack of flexibility with the aperture.

I cropped this some. There was another eagle at the bottom that I felt was distracting. Also, I just wanted a little closer to the action. I feel like I spent more time on editing this than some of my images, but the before/after is more subtle than I remembered.