Eagle Skirmish

I’m shooting in Haines Alaska at the moment. Great fun to see the abundance of Bald Eagles and have a chance to photograph them in many different weather conditions. Today was snowy all day long, but of course that did not stop the eagles from have battles over the salmon.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

OM Systems OM-1
40-150 f/2.8 with 2.0x TC

1/2000, f/6.3, ISO 3200

5 Likes

Wow! Action and IQ are top-notch, with wonderful tonal detail in lights and darks!

Keith, this is really nice. You managed the exposure very well with the white snow and the dark of the eagles. I like that the snowflakes are showing up with the dark of eagle feathers. Perfect position of both eagles. I’m only left to wonder if they shared, or which one got the prize! A wall hanger, for sure. :+1: :+1:

Spectacular and inspiring capture Keith! I would be over the moon if I took this photo and would hang it on my wall.

HI Keith
Looks like a great place to be photographing Eagle, The action and detail in this shot is topnotch.
Peter

Excellent action, Keith. Your depth of field looks spot on for this. What was the focal length?

Spectacular image, Keith. Clean looking image at 3200 ISO. I love the mood that’s set off by the falling snow against their dark wings. Great talon position on the incoming bird. Also, great light under the wings. My only suggestion is to clone out the stick. Superb image.

Hi Dennis: It was 268 mm full frame equivalent.

Thanks David. I don’t even think about ISO any more. This image was sent through DXO Pure RAW 2 , I should have mentioned that I guess. Shooting here with mostly cloudy skies, you just push the ISO to get whatever you need for shutter speed.

Love the red beak! That fish must have been heavy for the eagle to carry. Great shot, Keith. What happened next?

The eagles can’t pick these up and fly with them, they are just too big. They eat them on the ground. They can devour an entire salmon that size in about 15 minutes. I don’t remember from this sequence who was dominant and had the meal. Could have easily been another eagle that came in after the first one had enough to eat.

1 Like

Hi Keith,

Awesome shot. I thought that the dark area on the top of the eagle on the left was a rock from the BG, but it looks like feathers in the larger view. So that is fine and is essential to the scene. The wings are great and makes for a wonderful action photo. Whites are handled perfectly…Jim

Wow, awesome action shot, Keith. Terrific.

An excellent action capture of these two eagles, Keith! Bald Eagles on fresh snow is always a tough exposure challenge and you managed it especially well! Some of the snow is over exposed but the white feathers are perfectly exposed and that’s what counts. It can be difficult because of the high contrast with the dark feathers of the eagles also and you did a great job of bringing out those shadow details. Very well shot & processed. Congratulations! :clap: