Bald Eagle

Though, from a technical standpoint, probably not one of the best images I’ve ever taken; it was extremely overcast and windy that day. Still, I thought this bird was impressive enough to post. I was going to town on an errand when I saw this eagle feeding on a carcass in a pasture about a mile from my house. I used my truck as a blind to shoot this. I have no idea what he’s feeding on.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM, f/5.6, 1/6000 sec., ISO 2000. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz De-noise applied.

It’s always great to get a Bald Eagle in the Viewfinder. Feeding behavior is an added bonus.

My first reaction to the image is that the bird is dead center in the composition and that hurts the image. I think there might be a typo in your tech specs as I doubt this was 1/6000. Maybe 1/1600?

Still a bit noisy and not that sharp on the head.

Here’s a version with a different crop. You probably have the real pixels to do a different crop without adding canvas. I also dodged the eye a bit to get more light there and darkened the background just a touch.

Always nice to catch an eagle, particularly when it’s feeding like this. I agree with Keith on the crop and adding a touch of extra light to the eye.

Thanks @Keith_Bauer and @Dennis_Plank. Nice improvements, Keith. The ss was actually 1/6000, though I’m not sure how I got there. All techs as stated above, shot in Av mode @ Ev -0.5.

A pleasing action shot. Keith did a good job on the rule of thirds crop. It just seems more balanced.