At the Ready

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Chased this boy all over the place until he finally landed…but would he take off again…Noooooooooooooo. After a half-hour, I left.

Specific Feedback

Whatever floats your boats.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7II, 100-400 4/5.6 @ 400mm, f/5.6, 1/2500, ISO 400

Standard corrections and more toward pulling down the highlights in ACR, other than that, didn’t do much.

Hi Chris, nice capture of this regal bird - I like the pose and the scraggly perch. Nice eye contact we have with the eagle. Too bad he didn’t give you a take off pose - sometimes they just don’t cooperate. Details look good to me except some of the whites on the head look slightly hot to me. I’m wondering if the sky was that intense of a blue - maybe so but a version bringing down background saturation could be something to try. I like the overall composition - nice subject placement. Well done.

I waited an hour in the kayak in heavy winds for an eagle to take off. They just don’t listen! Finally it did, but I wasn’t as close as you are here. I like the pose and all the glorious texture, but it feels bright and cool to me. The whites look almost blown and I wonder about the sky, too. I think with a little taming and warming, this could be even better than it already is.

I love the way the pose fits the perch, Chris. Another vote for working on the head highlights and the sky. Other than that, an excellent image.