Pelican Sunset

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was taken 18 years ago in Humboldt County on California’s North Coast. I didn’t know at the time I was supposed to shoot and keep RAW files. The mist in the sea air helped to filter the sun. The pelicans were cruising along the coastline.

Specific Feedback

I used a circular polarizer for this image. I would love to go back and try it again. I was probably even using Automatic everything on the camera. I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Technical Details

Canon Rebel XT, f5.6, 1/1250s, iso 400, 70-300 lens at 300 mm, circular polarizer. Topaz sharpening and denoise added in processing.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

You (correction – the camera!) got a good exposure here and did a decent processing when it created the JPEG! But I’m glad you know better now! :grinning:

I hate it when somebody asks me how to get a good picture with a Rebel or some equivalent. I have no idea how to do basic settings on something like that.

1 Like

Hello Ed, This is a lovely scene. The birds are in focus but a little small in the scene. Since you were lucky enough to catch 3 birds in a row as a silhouette against the orange sky, I thought maybe you could crop the image to make the birds a little larger. I tried a crop, bringing in the left side and the top of the frame. I then moved the third bird closer to the 2nd . (PS copy and paste) Maybe there are other ways to work with the birds. Really nice composition.

1 Like

Thank you again @Diane_Miller. Fortunately, I’ve learned a few camera tricks, mostly right here on NPN over the last few years, and this year in particular.

Thank you @annlouiselyman, I really like the closer crop in your edit. I will see what I can do to bring the birds closer to the sun with cutting and pasting them.

Hi Ed. Nice composition. Don’t you just love the effect that the early polarizing filters had on an image? The misty sea air, combined with the filter, adds a nice retro effect to the technicolour banding of the sun.

I agree, thanks @garnet