Pencil pine stand and rockfall

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was taken during a recent trip in Tasmania. It depicts a stand of endemic pencil pines beneath a dolerite rockfall. The valley where this was taken has many similar, yet isolated pockets of pencil pines throughout it. With the composition, I hoped to create a sense of the isolation of this individual stand of pines by putting them into perspective with the scale of their environment, while also showcasing the different textures of the valley and the unique personality of these trees. For me one of the key parts of this image is the bare, twisted pine just visible in the right of the stand which I felt adds a lot of character to the scene.

Specific Feedback

I am unsure of what route to take for editing this photo, if any. Any advice on the composition would be greatly appreciated, as this is an area I plan to revisit soon :slight_smile:

Technical Details

200mm,
f/16,
1/60s

Keenan, about composition I would have put more room on the right side and less in the top of the image. Doing so the subject can have more room for breathing. It is better to cut the half tree in the left border. The light in the image seems flat to me, you can enhance the contrast for engaging the eyes a bit more.

Keenan,

What I like you’ve seen and captured is the story. I like how you’ve combined and placed to main elements of the rockfall and stand of pines. There’s a slight diagonal flow and as the viewer I get the distinct storyline of the rocks falling and meeting the stand of trees - who were quite lucky not to have been rolled over…

I like the processing. I am wishing for more breathing room on the left. Not sure if that’s what Guiseppe meant, right or left, but it feels cramped on the left - including the darker pine on the left edge; either need more convas (not sure if already cropped or that’s the actual edge,) or at least clone the dark tree. also, and minor, the yellow patch of grass next to the left edge is also a slight eye magnet - also helped by more room on the left, or by mitigating somehow. Again, very minor.

I think this tells a great nature story, especially the way you framed and composed this.

Lon

A mistake, left of course Lon. Excuse me.

1 Like

No worries Giuseppe! I transpose that kind of thing when typing all the time! And I’m really bad at re-reading my typing to pick up things like that… but thanks for the response. No apologies needed!

@Giuseppe_Guadagno @Lon_Overacker Thank you both for the feedback! Unfortunately with the image I posted, the left is the actual border so it is hard to give it more room, although I did have another image of the same location where I included more of the pines to the left instead of the rockfall. I would be interested to hear which you prefer. I also applied some of your feedback for cloning out the dark tree in the left border and cropping out some of the top of the image and I think it looks much better. Thanks again!

Yes Keenan really inproved. A good work for me.

1 Like