Penguin Extravaganza!

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

So much fun to photograph these guys as they burst from the water!!

To see more from this trip visit - https://www.glennbartley.com/naturephotography/articles/Gallery%20-%20Antarctica2023.html

Technical Details

Camera Model: Canon EOS R5
Copyright: www.glennbartley.com
Shutter speed: 1/2500 sec
Aperture: 8
Exposure mode: Manual
ISO: 3200
Lens: RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
Focal length: 100mm

4 Likes

Hi Glenn, Love all three of these. I think the first one with the duo coming out of the water together is my fave. Great action captures with terrific mid air poses and splashing water. Nice to see the snow so well exposed as well.
Well done!

Glenn: excellent capture of the action. I liked all of the postings and the first in particular with your capture of the bird’s exit in mid-air. Great job on the exposure.

Excellent, Glenn. Another vote for the first image. It looks like you kept the white balance a little cool, like the old Sony TV’s when the world still used CRTs. It works well for the location and subjects.

I’ll make it unanimous, so far, voting for the first. What a great image with perfect focus, great detail, the synchrony of the action, water action, good handling of the snow. P.S. Fan of the Bird Photography Show with you and Jan. Always good content; keep them coming.

My favorite is also the first image! Really great timing on these shots! I can imagine how much fun this was to shoot and even witness. Nice work!

Hi Glenn,

Those are awesome. The syncing of the motion of the first one really makes it for me.

In processing I deliberately kept the snow and ice cool and masked in some warmth to the birds white belly…Penguin shots definitely need good post processing to really shine IMHO

Hello, Glenn, lovely images, they make me smile. And sad, as my trip to these species was still in the slide ages with analogue equipment, cannot help but wonder what I would make of it nowadays. Anyway, back to your images. They are all fine for me, the first one my favorite, but would be more than happy with all of them :wink: … There’s not detail at all on the bellies, which I know is hard when wet, but still I would expect to see some. Is there any the raw-file ? It looks as if the ones on your website report (which is a must-see!) show some detail… That said, I love them as presented ! Cheers, Hans

These are all so amazing! I’ll add my vote for the first being the most special – those coordinated feet elicit a huge smile!

The timing of that first image is just perfect, Glenn. The head, neck, back and feet positions are mirror images of one another. Both have open beaks and are about the same height in the air. I think this one is superb. I see what @Hans_Overduin says about chest detail but it more than likely is the small file size. No big deal as this is all about perfect mirror imaging of the two Penguins. Oh, and the first one is my favorite but I’d love to have shot any of the three you posted. Thanks for sharing these.