Love on the Rocks

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Prithee, what thinkest thee of this, my fine feathered friend? Doest thou find favour or repulse at this overt and most public display of affection by those red-nosed reindeer who nest in the RAW as if it were Christmas? Are these just two gentle gentoo, or are they most foul?

Verily, and most important, O wise one: what thinkest thee of all this free-flowing crop in which they do abide so shamelessly, without regard for proper civil constraints nor standards of reproduction? Shall we but stand by and gawk, or shall we do something about this?

I feel fine, thank you.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

A gentoo penguin comforts its chick on Elephant Island. For lack of better materials, gentoos (like other penguins) build their nests of stone.

Technical Details

This is an old shot, taken back in The Day. Canon 40D, EF70-200mm f/4L IS USM @ 1/320s, f/5.6. OSP 320, 200 mm, 0 EV. Processed anew in DXO Deep PrimeXD and LR Classic. The day was solid overcast, and there was nary a sign of Shackleton’s crew though we did search most earnestly the strand of beach for any visage of survivors.

Specific Feedback

As you wish, but if you have thoughts on the image’s crop, I’ll be happy to receive them.

Hi Micheal
Looks like a great adventure. What’s the saying “you can’t compete with babies or puppies”. I believe this photograph fall into that group. I think you could look at reducing the enhancement some and open up the sides and top of this frame. Happy hunting.
Peter

Immediate impression: A beautiful intimate moment between the adult and chick, Michael.

The techs look spot on in this image. I think the crop could use some work. I don’t know how much room you had around the penguins to start with, but this feels cramped to me. I’d like to see the rest of the adult’s tail and have some room above and on the right. Alternatively, I could see going all the way and cropping down to an extremely intimate portrait (assuming you have enough pixels to play with):

1 Like

Thanks, Peter. It’s a bit like cheating, isn’t it. And, yep, it’s just a snapshot - no artistic value. Thanks also for the feedback on the crop. Regards – MET

Hi Dennis, thanks for your feedback. My wife made the exact same suggestions when she saw the crop I posted, and my first inclination was to pull back, to include the penguin’s tail. That didn’t work – the new crop seemed pretty unbalanced to me – so I almost cropped way in as per your crop; but then I thought I’d get some suggestions from my friends at NPN. Pulling back far enough to give space to the scene seems to confuse the subject with a very busy (rocky, contrasty) background. I definitely like your close crop a lot more than my original. It’s the way to go. Best – MET

First impression: beautiful capture of the moment between adult and chick. Exposure looks good too. Well done.

As a follow up, I like Dennis’ crop also which highlights the interaction between the two and still gives context of the environment.

1 Like

Thanks, Allen. The early votes are all leaning the same way on Dennis’ crop. (And since they concur with my Most Valued Critic, to whom I just happen to be wed, I do believe I can predict the outcome of this election!) :smile:

Thanks for sharing such a tender moment between adult and chick. The crop posted by @Dennis_Plank is a much better balanced crop IMHO and really shows off the two loving each other. The original crop cut off the tail and felt unbalanced to my eye and this really takes care of that issue. Beautiful moment you captured here. Thanks for sharing this one and keeping that marriage alive and well.

Hi David, I agree with you and Dennis. The 100% crop with the tail and BG was also off-balance, as was a tighter crop still showing the tail. Dennis saw right to the heart of the image. Best – Michael