King Penguin feeding

This image was captured in the Falkland Islands in January 2019. On this occasion, the chick dropped the little morsel. Happy to receive any critique on this image.

Details: ISO 1000, f8, 1/1000 sec, 305 mm, small amount of cropping.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Rob, I really like this scene. The X-large version provides some very fine detail of the feeding episode. No changes for me on the scene and the tight cropping in the crowd keeps the focus directly on the stars of the photograph here…:+1:

At first, the tightness of this shot bothered me until I realized that including more would just make for a cluttered image. Love the feeding action. A nice sharp photo with wonderful details.

I also like the scene quite a bit. But there are things you can do to make improvements. The main thing I would do if it were mine would be to increase the brightness and contrast in the head region where detail is lost in the dark plumage. I did this, added a little more detail using Topaz AI Clear and am proposing an alternate crop which is even tighter and focuses more on the interaction.Your crop works very well however I am just looking at it in a different perspective. Of course working with the original would yield even better results.

Very nice behavioral capture. Love the interaction shown here. Agree with David on increasing detail in the blacks.

Good depth of field with nice detail in the plumage of both the adult and the chick. That’s not easy to accomplish with large birds. While I know it’s not true to life, I’d be tempted to brighten the eye of the adult.

Thanks for the feedback everyone - much appreciated. Here is a re-worked version

Excellent job on the reworked version, Rob. I really like this.

Many thanks Dennis - excellent advice on this one