Northern Flicker feeding Young

I was fortunate to be invited to enjoy this . This was fairly high up but after surveying the area, was able to get up to Eye level - which makes so much of a difference!

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I wish that there was better light as I would be able to shoot at a lower ISO

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
1/640 sec / f 6.3 / iso 2200 / 850mm

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Wow, I don’t think it can get any better than this, Karl. Great to have the opportunity to witness this moment, and even better to get to shoot it, and even find a place where you were more eye level with the family. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

What a beautiful moment to capture! Your search for a good angle really paid off. The composition is fine, although if you have any room at the top I might have brought the chicks down in the frame just a little. I’m wondering if you applied a lot of sharpening in post because it looks a bit grainy which I don’t think is ISO. The position of all the birds in this is really wonderful. Beautiful image!

1 Like

Thanks Terri

I do have space on the top, but that dark branch becomes an eye sore - it took me a year and a half to reach this compromise :slight_smile:
Re " grainy" , I will check - thanks

Karl

1 Like

Lovely family photo. Image does not seem to suffer from the higher ISO. DOF looks just right and action looks perfect.

I like that you were able to get to a higher view point which can be hard to do in a forest.

Good for you.

1 Like

Superb family action shot. Perhaps a little more tech detail would be helpful to determine better issues with the size of your crop. But still an amazing capture. I have lots of Flickers in my area but never get to see such an intimate family scene. (Their nesting area is in a rain forest.)

1 Like

Nice details and poses of the flickers that you were able to capture. Well done…Jim

1 Like

Oh my! Not much to say here other than bravo! I’m not seeing too much graininess, but that’s on a 4K monitor, so could hide it a bit? I like your post-processing here. Great color too. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Karl, excellent. What an excellent image. I think you have nailed this one. I am not bothered by the grain at all.

1 Like

Excellent composition, Karl, and you timed the shot very well. I don’t find the noise level at all objectionable, so I don’t think the high iso hurt you.

1 Like