Northern Flicker

I spent some time in my blind this morning and this female flicker came in to the feeding station. She perched on one of the posts that supports the roof built to keep the station half way dry so I couldn’t get a full body shot and decided to go for a head shot. As it was, there was a white triangle of roof in the lower right corner, part removed by cropping and part by cloning.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any processing artifacts?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

My available depth of field was pretty small-does it still work?

Any pertinent technical details:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 600 mm, gimbal head mounted to blind, f/8, 1/100, iso 1000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nice portrait and pretty good detail at 1/100.

I can’t spot any artifacts and I think the DOF is perfect. I like where you’ve chosen to crop the bird for the composition. The backward look and diagonal angle of the pose is nice. And what great detail and light in the eye you captured! Beautiful shot.

Totally on board with all of Terri’s comments. I especially like the eye contact, which appears to me that the Flicker is deciding if you’re a safe addition to his environment.

Lots to like here, Dennis. You had good light and fine detail for a pleasing comp.

A beautiful bird and a beautiful shot, Dennis. Great detail in the feathers. I too like the composition, and don’t see any artifacts. Well done.

Very good portrait of this shy bird, Dennis. Your composition and DOF work very well with the head turn. I like seeing all the characteristic details on the breast and neck.