Flicker

I got this shot of a female northern flicker this morning in our backyard. I feel lucky every time I get a capture of these very shy birds.

Specific Feedback Requested

I always wonder about the nuances of cropping. So, that. How’s the cropping hit you?

Technical Details

D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, monopod, 1/1000th, f 8.0, 700mm, ISO 6400, AI Clear, cropped to 3462 x 3939

1 Like

The crop, composition, detail, and head turn are well done. On my iPad, the image is a little flat. I think a midtone boost would give it some needed pop!

David-

I played with the midtowns some. Good suggestion, I think. Thanks.

Yes, much better.

The rework looks quite good. These are such interesting birds and one of the few woodpeckers to regularly feed on the ground. Only the other day did I get the Merlin app to ID a bird that turned out to be a flicker. Never did see it, but boy did I hear it a whole bunch. That tail is really something!

Great work on the rework, Dave. Flickers are one of my favorites.

I like the repose, Dave. The crop works fine. I’m particularly fond of the light on the bottom of the perch and the tail and breast of the bird. I think you could add a bit more light and warmth to the face to make it pop.

I like the repose too and I like the crop. I do agree with Dennis that a little more light on the bird’s head would separate it more from the dark background. I think the shot is very nice. Good job.

Hi Dave
Thank you for this good looking Flicker, I first view of one. The framing and light highlights add a lot to this photograph. Good work.
Peter