Flicker Flapping

One of my favorite birds that show up in our backyard is the norther flicker. I am constantly hoping for a shot depicting their astounding wing and tail feathers. I managed this pose of a male that was in the middle of playing (or fighting) with a nearby female (not pictured). They were pretty frantic and a challenge to shoot but I managed this moment.

Specific Feedback Requested

Is the shaded body portion working this way, or should I dodge it some? Does that large BG tree trunk need to go away?

Technical Details

Z9, Nikon 200-500 lens, monopod, 1/1600th, 495mm, ISO 2000, Photo AI, cropped to 3087 x 3441

Wow, love that wing spread, Dave. Excellent catch of one of my favorite birds.

Beautiful image, Dave. Love the orange color of the wings against the blue sky. IMHO, the shaded portion of the flicker works, I wouldn’t dodge any more. The large tree trunk in the background doesn’t bother me either. Mostly all the limbs below the perch are a bit distracting, but not sure there is much to be done about them. Great capture.

Hello,
I like the colours of the bird and the background. The bird position tells the story you described.
At the moment I saw your photo I heard a flicker in my yard, on a tree freshly covered with snow…but missed that moment with my camera. Glad I got to see yours!

I am entertained by good coincidences. Keep trying. As my 6th grade teacher would say: “Persistence prevails” Do you have a hanging suet block? It’ll greatly increase your odds of seeing them.

1 Like

I think you made the most of your opportunity, Dave, a nice the shot of the underwing and some interesting frantic behavior.