Morning Flicker

Image Description

I got this male northern flicker portrait early one morning in the backyard. I’ve found that these guys don’t stay in one spot very long so I feel fortunate to have gotten this shot during the moment or two that he was perched there.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I like how he and his stick are 3D popped from the BG. The cropping seem about right?

Technical Details

Z9, Nikon 200-500 lens, monopod, 750mm, f 8.0, ISO 4000, Photo AI, cropped to 3213 x 2533

2 Likes

Dave, This is one proud looking bird. What a superb capture and excellent image. The sharpness and detail is amazing and the comp and lighting is right on. You did a great job managing the long and heavy 200-500. I also have this lens and find that it can be challenging and rewarding at the same time. Thanks for this wonderful image.

Very good look at this Flicker, Dave. I, too find this bird very difficult to photograph. You took excellent advantage of this particular birds’ willingness to sit for a moment. Nice details in the bird and a pleasing perch and background. This shot has it all.

This is a beautiful portrait! They are very challenging to capture at eye level in my experience and this really shows off their beautiful plumage. Your background is well done also, though my initial reaction was that it lacks the subject’s warmth so looks a bit unnatural. I am curious if you toned down any colour in the background? Again congratulations on your patience and skill to capture this!

Hi Dave,

I’ve seen images of this bird species but not in person, this image is very pleasing because of the level of details, pose, perspective and framing.

The BG is very nice but I am slightly curious about the color, were the colors muted to place more emphasize on the bird? If so, Well done! :slight_smile: If not, Well done! :slight_smile:

The colors, saturation and contrast on the bird are top notch!

Hi Dave
This is one good looking bird. Even back light, the whites are not over exposed and the framing, eye contact, coloring and feather detail are spot one.
Nice work.
Peter

Very good, Dave. I love that perch and the Flicker pops beautifully from the mellow background.

Hi Dave, nice catch of this beauty. As Peter mentions, you did a good job handling the backlighting with the front of the bird not being totally blocked (except perhaps for the black on the chest). A fine pose and non-distracting background.