Northern Flicker Portrait

Northern Flicker.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Flickers always look oversharpened to me. Only 1% sharpening to image but at 8MP out of 61MP, I think the degree of sharpness is exaggerated.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso 1600, 100-400 at 400, f7.1, 1600th, A7R4, huge crop (8 MP out of 61), handheld, no flash

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

A really nice portrait of a pretty bird. It does look a bit crunchy especially on the tan colored feathers on lower face and neck area. A very nice complimentary bg and crop composition looks fine. An excellent job using those tiny pixels.

Hi David,

A very photogenic flicker. Colors look good and the bird is nice and sharp. And I have no nits for you. Well done…Jim

In the larger image, it does look a bit oversharpened, David. Some birds definitely have plumage that doesn’t take well to sharpening. You could probably post this with none at all.

Gorgeous photo David. The detail in the flicker is amazing and the oof background works really well to set off the bird. As beautiful as I think these birds are, we used to have some around our house and all the did was drill holes in the east side of it . . . … can be quite frustrating. Wonderful capture.

Wow. I am very jealous. Flickers have been a nemesis of mine for a while now. IQ help up extremely well, especially considering the bird appears a little over-sharp. Love the marbled, green BG.

David: the bird is very nicely posed against the oof background. The image holds up well inspire of the significant crop. Nicely done. Richard