Northern Flicker portrait

Taken today, midmorning, in reasonably pleasing light. The perch wasn’t appealing enough to include so I turned it into a portrait.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

ISO 1000, 200-600 at 600 mm, F9, 2000th, about 50% of full frame with the crop, Sony alpha-1

2 Likes

Beautiful portrait and lighting, Allen.

Hi David,

The large versiuon shows off the feathers nicely and I like the texture on the bill. Overall, perfectly lit for a very nice artistic portrait. Well done…Jim

The lighting really brought out the feather texture in this image, David. A very cool portrait.

A perfect portrait with a perfect background. Well done, David.

All said above – lovely shot with a very nice BG!!

Oh I love these guys and miss them. I think they’re generally around since I see them fly off the edges of the roads where they forage for ants, but they don’t hang out in my yard. Darn them. They’re so animated and will feed on the ground more than most woodies.

As others have said this is a terrific portrait because of the bg and the detail in that beautiful plumage (I say that like Michael Palin every time). Cropping out the perch is the way to go. Not much else to add, but I wanted to chime in with my praises.

Wonderful portrait with terrific feather detail and a pleasing background. Nice DOF. well done.