Northern Flicker w/Update

Lighter Left Side:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus) I’m pretty sure this is a female…

Last October, I stumbled upon a group of Northern Flickers at a local wetlands area. This one was quite cooperative as I crept closer to get the shot. I think she was trying to decide if I was a threat.

Specific Feedback

Any comments appreciated. Comp, Color, Pose…

Technical Details

600m, 1/640sec @ f/8, ISO 3200

3 Likes

Hi @David_Bostock , this is great!

I love this pose you’ve captured - something a bit different! Keeping the green background on the left while also leaving room in the direction of the flickers gaze works well for me :+1:

(a little disclaimer - I’m a beginner, and very new to NPN :slight_smile:)

1 Like

This is a lovely shot of this flicker with beautiful detail, David. I like the perch and the head turn is great. I’m a bit ambivalent about the left side. I’d like more perch over there, though I know you probably couldn’t do anything about that. The problem I have is that the background is so dark that it looks like the edge of the perch is the edge of the image. Maybe lightening the background a bit or using a border might dispel that illusion.

Lovely image of the flicker, David. It’s the head turn that really works for me on this one. I also like the little squiggly lines coming out of the chest of the bird onto the tree. Very interesting. I agree with @Dennis_Plank regarding the green background. If you dodged it, it might look like more a part o f the scene. It wouldn’t take much. You must have been wearing your non threatening clothes this day. Well done.

@mdjnewman, @Dennis_Plank, and @David_Haynes thanks for the comments. I’ve posted an update with the left area a bit brighter. Hopefully that helps.

Cheers,
David

Wonderful!! I love the pose and the look, and the weathered perch. I think I could go with an even lighter BG.

I’m not a birder but wonder if this is a young male that hasn’t grown the red mustache yet? Looks like the coloring is starting to appear?

We have a male roosting 15 ft outside my studio door for the second year in a row and there is absolutely no way he is going to let me get pictures. Last winter he was roosting on a small brace under the deck roof so we bought a flicker house. He moved in, and when nesting season came he found a mate, but she didn’t like the neighborhood. (And I had given up the idea of photographing him by then.) Surprisingly, he’s back again this winter.

That slight change made a difference to my eyes, David.

Lovely image David. These are such beautifully patterned birds. Love the “over the shoulder head turn”. Well done.

@Diane_Miller, @Dennis_Plank, and @Allen_Sparks thanks for your kind comments. Diane, great story thanks!