Perpetual Motion

Project Images

Perpetual Motion

Project Description

I’ve been working on a portrait of the Dutch coast, its many moods and faces, for several years now.
The seashore is never the same. The interaction of water and sand is influenced by wind, weather, and tides. Even a seemingly uneventful stretch of sand backed by dunes, like the North Sea coast of the Netherlands, shows ever-changing faces daily.

Self Critique

I love using various photographic styles to convey the changing faces of the sea and how it changes the landscape of the beach. At the same time, I hope it will present a coherent portrait in the end. I have a plethora of images to choose from and am happy that I have expert guidance for the curating and sequencing. Tying up the loose ends, the list of images that are still needed, is challenging. (It’s difficult for me to work intentionally.) And I have a weakness for waves. Way too many wave photos!

Creative Direction

There are a few implicit messages I want to bring across, but don’t want to be to explicit about. One being that this coastline is considered commonplace, boring even, by many people, and I would like to open their eyes to seeing beauty in commonplace things. The other is closely related: why travel thousands of kilometers (with the ensuing carbon footprint) to photograph stunning baches when there is beauty at home?

Specific Feedback

Aesthetic: Am I using too many different styles of imagery to make a coherent set?
Conceptual: Will impressionistic photography like this be enough for the implicit message I’m trying to bring across?
Practical: Being an unknown amateur, how do I build a following willing to buy a book?

Intent of the project

Book Publication

Additional Details: I intend to (self-)publish the book by the end of this year.

1 Like

where are the images?

never mind. found them.

I’m sorry, Igor, I thought I’d just enclose the web page. I would have enclosed the images instead.

It works as is. I’m just slow sometimes.

1 Like