Picture Lake and Mt. Shuksan #3 with re-post

Re-post:

Original:

Description:

This is another photo from my trip with @John_Williams. This really was a special day.

Specific Feedback Requested:

All feedback welcome, especially regarding post processing.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

This is a single photo, D850, 16-35 at 27mm, ISO 100, f/11, 1/25 sec

1 Like

I think at that time of day, I would not have gone F11. It looks like you had to raise exposure on the mountain, I would have shot this wide open.

Hi Steve,

I prefer this image to the day tome shot in the same areas which you posted also. Mainly because of the sunset colour but also because its less busy.

I would look to boost the dark darks a touch to provide more detail but I wouldn’t lift the black point. I’d probably boost at around 50 on a curves layer.

I like the composition, with the mountain off-center like this. I think the comp does a good job of exploiting the shapes of the clouds. While the color in the sky is beautiful, the overall image feels too dark and underexposed to me. I wouldn’t go full HDR here, but would like to see more detail in the shadows. This image might have benefited from exposure blending for dynamic range. The relative luminosity difference between the sky and it’s reflection in the water doesn’t look right. The sky looks good, but the water looks too dark relatively…

Thank you @Dan_Kearl, @Nathan_Klein and @Ed_McGuirk for your comments and suggestions. I added another version - I used a TKLuminosity mask to lighten the dark areas. I used Lightroom in an attempt to lighten the reflection to bring balance with the sky.

Thanks again for your help!

Repost saved it! Looks nice at internet level. My original comment is that once the sunset is gone and there are no more highlights left, go to wide open aperture and raise the iso,at that time of day, you lose no DOF, gain a lot of light and maybe stars if you expose to the right.

The repost is sooooo much better. Beautiful image.

The repost is a dramatic improvement. It rescues the detail without using an overdone HDR look. You kept the shadows dark, while keeps it realistic looking. This helps a lot.

I still have wonderful memories of that day. It was pretty amazing to shoot sunrise on Rainier and then to spend the afternoon and sunset here at Shuksan.

My apologies getting to this so late! I’m truly behind; in addition to the rest of the images from our trip I have a couple more outings to catch up with.

This is wonderful, and I agree with the others that the lightened shadows really improve this; it allows the land to match the sky. My only thought would be to consider dropping the saturation of the darker areas just a tad. I often find when I get the bright areas as colorful as I saw, the deeper shadows have almost too much and the image looks better if I cut that back just a little.

Regardless, love this one! I’ll have to get mine posted soon. I guess one advantage of me being so far behind is that we don’t post the same scene at the same time :grinning: