Less common view

A different perspective of Mt. Shuksan from the iconic location of Picture Lake in northern Washington state. This is from a trip with @John_Williams in early October. This was early sunset, and the first day clouds appeared during our trip.

Updated image

Original Post

Specific Feedback Requested

All feedback is welcome. I’m particularly interested in your view of the post processing - my biggest weakness.

Single image with D850, ISO 100, 16-35 at 31mm, f11, 1/160 sec

2 Likes

All the elements came together for you on this one. Partial clouds fill the sky and the foreground has dappled light that adds highlights here and there. Even the crooked tree adds interest. It would be great if you made that crookedness more obvious.

This is really nice, I would lower the color saturation just a tad…

Beautiful photo. I agree about the saturation…I would tone it down two or three tads. Also, you might consider a bit of a crop on the right to remove the tree split down the middle. Also, I think it would be better to have the crooked tree more to the side so that it doesn’t compete with the mountain for attention.

Beautiful look at autumn in the high country. I would agree with the saturation dial back suggestions and also with Tony on the right side crop. Otherwise, looks quite good to me.

As a child I had a very similar photo next to my bed (I have no idea from where that photo was) and this brought me back to that time :smiley: It’s a beautiful photograph

This is quite the view, Steve! The late evening light is gorgeous as are those white fluffy clouds and I really like the character of the lone evergreen with the curve at the top. You could not have placed it in a better spot in the frame. I too could see a slight reduction in the saturation, but that is subjective. How bad were the mosquitoes? Great job on this.

This really sweet light that you have here Steve. I also appreciate seeing a very different view of an iconic location too. I love that twisted tree, it adds some character to the scene. I agree that a crop of the cutoff tree on the right would help. I see that you got a number of comments on saturation level, I too could see a reduction in saturation. However I’m not sure it makes sense to reduce saturation equally across the entire image. I think the shadows (especially in the foreground vegetation in shade) are whats too saturated. In real life shadows are naturally low saturation areas. I would target more of the saturation reduction to the foreground shadow areas.

Thank you @Igor_Doncov, @Dan_Kearl, @Tony_Siciliano, @Harley_Goldman, @valentin_taneski, @Ed_Lowe and @Ed_McGuirk for your comments! I really appreciated all the suggestions!

I posted an update at the top. I reduced the saturation slightly in the overall image and quite a bit in the foreground. I cropped a bit off the right to eliminate the half-tree and I subtly lightened the crooked tree to make it stand out a bit more.

Repost looks better for me, the toned down FG works much better, makes the Lake beyond more prominent which leads to the Mountain.

This one caught my eye on the front page. Beautiful scene. The less saturated image looks more natural.

This one’s just flat out beautiful Steve. I remember appreciating this when you showed me on the camera, and it’s wonderful at full size.

Kudos on seeing this comp. I really like how the shape of the grass mimics the mountain to a degree, and the diagonals of the background slope and the foreground trees converging lead the eye right to the mountain. I agree that the curved tree adds a lot more than I appreciated when we were there.

I like the suggested edits; your repost hits the sweet spot. :clap:

Steve, the rework is a nice improvement. The crop from the right tightens up the composition nicely, and gives that nice squiggly tree an even more prominent role. When viewing the original post, I was mildly surprised by how many too-saturated comments you were getting. With light this sweet and warm the sunlit parts of the scene would lose vitality if they were de-saturated. But then I realized it was the relative saturation between the shadow and highlight areas that drew my attention, and that the image would mostly benefit from reducing shadow saturation.

1 Like