Pierce Point Cypress + RP + RP2

And a RP re Matt Payne’s comment:

And a RP starting over with the raw file with a less heavy hand. I went wrong originally with too much Highlight reduction then a Nik Tonal Contrast brought out the haloing.

Another old one I reworked, from 2012. This is one of the iconic views at Point Reyes. The raw file was pretty flat with the iconic fog and I played with bringing out tonal detail. I found I like the surreal effect but it won’t be everyone’s cup of Dark Roast…

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 8.18.01 AM

70-200 f/2.8 lens. (Can’t find a way to add the lens to the info…)

Three image pano stitch. Tonal range maximized in LR with global sliders. Into PS for Topaz Denoise and more tonal work with Nik CEP Tonal Contrast, which got rather surreal but I liked the effect. Compared PS B/W layer with Silver Efex and preferred the latter.

2 Likes

I really like this Diane! It is quite evocative. I’m not sure I would change much… except perhaps darkening that lower left patch of grass.

AAARGH!! Now that you’ve pointed it out, @Matt_Payne, I can’t unsee it! RP above. Enough? I could wish for more small vegetation there and could clone some in…

1 Like

This is a wonderful B&W photo, Diane. It has a lot going for it. The tree line is very interesting. It looks like all the same kind of trees, but in different conditions. I’m asking myself why are the rt. side trees so much more bare than the left side? The mist just adds to the mystery. I think darkening the LB grass would work fine. The vegetation in that corner doesn’t bother me at all. Remember nature isn’t perfect. Glad you dug out this shot.

Perfect repost.

Looks great! =)

Thanks again, @Matt_Payne and @Donna_Callais! Donna, I’m looking uphill a bit here and I think the trees on the right are a little farther away. Haven’t been back there in a while and I’m way overdue. These are old trees and they always look scraggly. A lot of the soil out here is poor and the climate is not kind.

I really like this, Diane. Especially as a B&W. Well done. I do think there’s a rather large halo around the tops of the trees, which might be from Silver Efex…It’s much more noticeable in the thumbnail version.

Wither way, I think this is terrific.

Thanks, @David_Bostock! The halo has been bugging me – I’ll see what I can do about it. Thumbnails can be great for seeing things like that.

1 Like

One of these days I must get to P.R. The rework is better, but the halo is still there and it was honestly the first thing I noticed when I opened the larger version. The sharp demarcation at the treetops is different than anywhere else. Those trees though, talk about the Usual Suspects lineup. Such character and sheer will to live. You aren’t kidding that the climate there isn’t kind.

I thought this looked familiar! Makes me want to get over there, especially this time of year when the fog is sure to be rolling in and out.

This is wonderful! The fog of course really transforms this too - otherwise, just a bunch of trees… ha ha. Really, this is quite the excellent capture. The slight burn down in the grasses is an improvement too.

Thanks for sharing and the reminder to visit Point Reyes again!

Lon

Thanks, @Lon_Overacker and @Kris_Smith. I’ve been thinking of a 2-3 day run soon. Maybe we should try for an NPN “workshop” – any interest? I might start a discussion.

You could twist my arm. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@Kris_Smith, twisting. Hard!

The Point Reyes trip was a success but I didn’t manage to re-shoot this scene. I did go back to the raw file, though, and process it with less of a heavy hand. It’s an old post now, but I’ll toss out the better version in lieu of a re-shoot. Next trip!!