Pile up

While by no means an enormous pile, this is pretty representative of the ice along many parts of the Lake Michigan shoreline. The ice forms, breaks up, forms, breaks up and in big storms will wash up on the beaches and stack together like pieces of a shattered plate. It really is this blue. Well, ok, maybe I nudged a slider or two up a bit, but the water and ice is blue all the time. Each of those is anywhere from a foot or so square to triple that and the pile stands about 6 feet high. I try to visit when conditions might be right for a big stack up. During really big storms ice rams up on shore with alarming speed and if the winds and waves are big enough, can wreck cars, picnic tables, parking meters, signs and anything else in its way.

Specific Feedback Requested

It’s not the best photo, but it’s blue! Let me know your thoughts.

Technical Details

Handheld…it was cold and a bit windy, but sunny and pretty nice. Maybe 20 degrees F.

Lr for raw processing - the usual stuff. Honestly, I didn’t hurt any color sliders. Lots of clarity and dimension added though for some contour effects. Photoshop to remove some debris that caught in the ice slabs.

1 Like

That’s pretty awesome, Kris. Love the soft blues.

That whole pile is pretty cool Kris (no pun intended :laughing:), like a giant’s jigsaw puzzle. Every few years the CT River will freeze up and have smaller piles of ice created. The Coast Guard actually sends a cutter up to clear the river due to the damage ice does to docks and other facilities. On my screen I see a greenish cast, but maybe my monitor needs adjusting.

Thanks @David_Bostock & @Jim_Lockhart - lake Michigan is a very colorful lake no matter the season. From what I recall, there is also green in the color of the water so that might be what you’re seeing, Jim.