Busy on the ice

One more from a day on the ice at Wrightsville Reservoir after the water level had dropped a foot in bitter weather leaving some of the most remarkable patterns I’ve ever encountered. And, yes, while not a big landscape scenic view, it IS in a local park! As @jens_ober says “Sometimes I would like to know what people walking by think when I photograph frozen puddles.” This particular photo was so busy, my eyes were just rolling around in my head. I also loved how you could see through the very thin sheet of ice to the shore a few inches below.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

any and all

Technical Details

Sony 6000, 1/160, f/11.80mm, ISO1250 with adjustments to tone curves, dehaze, vibrance and sharpening in LR.

1 Like

The quote is suitable for a t-shirt. :rofl:

Wow, John. That icy structures are amazing. It looks very well composed. I love the shot.

If I had to criticize one small thing, it would be the color. It seems to me, that the image has a tiny greenish/cyan cast. And I would cool down the white balance a little.

I am jealous of your frosty patterns, John. Great image. Can’t wait to see more of that stuff.

I missed this one and for that I’m sorry. It’s a tremendously interesting photo with so much texture and wild abandon. Well, for ice. Agreed that it is rather green, but as an artistic interpretation that could be ok.