Rough ice

My eye jumped to this small scene on a recently melted and refrozen vernal pond; I especially delighted in the shapes and muted colors of the rough ice and the small bit of White cedar leaf. I grew up in a household that had a number of old Chinese scrolls hanging on the walls, and they continue to influence how I see the world still.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I did some slight cropping and debated as to exactly which was the one that worked best for me.

Technical Details

Sony6000, 1/250, F/6.3, 180mm, ISO6400 with adjustments to tone curves and sharpening and slight cropping in LR

Hi John. That is really nice. The composition balances very well. That bit of cedar really gives it a nice focal point. Ice patterns are sort of endlessly fascinating.

Hi John, this is a very attractive ice image and you captured it well. Enjoying the light blue against the dark blue background and whimsical white line encircling the eye. Inclusion of that piece of plant material adds interest and color to the scene.

John, Very nice and intriguing image. I keep coming back to it to look at different aspects of it. Love the colors and agree the circle is an eye catching element. The branch adds interest, but also gives it proportion. Nicely done.