Pink Lemonade

In early August several buddies and I backpacked into Cowlitz Park on Mt. Rainier for a long weekend. The flowers were thick and the vistas spectacular, and the weather even cooperated a time or two.

Our first night in Cowlitz Park we set up camp near a tarn, and after scouting for a few hours I settled on a composition with a lupine foreground. I went back to the location in late afternoon hoping to catch a sun star against Mt. Rainier, as insurance in case sunset was a dud. When I arrived though, I found the sun had already set behind a foreground ridge and my flowers were in shadow. I kicked back and enjoyed the beauty for a while, hopeful as the light got a bit more interesting that sunset might work out. Just as things started to get a bit more interesting, mist came pouring into the scene and I found myself sitting in thick fog. Grumbling under my breath about the unfairness of it all (to quote Jud from the BBC television show Poldark, “Tisn’t right, tisn’t fit, tisn’t fair, tisn’t proper!”), I packed up and headed back to camp to start supper.

Just as I started to eat, the fog cleared and the sky color started to look promising. For a moment I considered dashing back down the hill, but the lupine was a distance away and I knew there wasn’t time to get there and get set up before the show was over. (Tisn’t right, tisn’t fit, tisn’t fair, tisn’t proper!”)

However when scouting I had also poked around a lot of other possible compositions, and one I had considered was this patch of Pink Mountain-heath. It was only about 50 yards down the slope from camp, so I set supper aside and rushed down to set up this composition. …then, in a flash, the fog rolled back in. With a sigh (and a few more “tisn’ts”), I walked back up and started eating again.

I was starting to catch on though, and left the camera and tripod set up. It turns out that the clouds rapidly lifting and falling at that elevation would be a common theme for the entire weekend. It wasn’t long until they started to slide away again, and I once again set aside my food and went back to take this picture. I also was able to take some without any of the fog, but I actually preferred this one with a bit mixed in for the mood it gave the mountain.

I’m loving the Fuji-film X-T30 for its light weight. (For backpacking I combine it with the Sirui T-025x tripod, which is a great compromise of stability and weight.) I’m especially enamored with the focus bracketing, and used it to take eight images of the foreground for focus blending. The background is an additional image, bracketed to capture the highlights in the sky. I’m playing with the trial version of Helicon Focus, and used it to stack the images. I have no idea what I’m doing with Helicon Focus yet, but it seemed to survive my innocence and did a great job with the focus blending. In other news, I cloned out a few small plant bits that I found distracting, used lens correction to make the mountain a little larger in relation to the foreground, and puppet warped the two trees in the upper left to lean less.

If you’ve made it this far, any and all thoughts are always welcome. I’d especially appreciate feedback on the color. I found it to be an interesting mix of pink and yellow (thus the title), and a pretty colorful scene. Does the color mix look okay to you? How about the saturation?

FUJIFILM X-T30

FUJIFILM XF 10-24mm F4 at 10 mm (15 mm equivalent)

1.0 sec. at f/16.0 and ISO 800 (foreground images) and ISO 160 (background)

Based on the recommendations below, here’s a version with @Michael_Rung’s suggestions addressed, and the flower brightened a bit. Thanks for the feedback all!

5 Likes

John: I kind of suspected this was yours just from the thumbnail. Great story that I enjoyed very much. As for the scene and image, merely spectacular. I might like a tiny bit more brightness on the FG flowers but remember that comment comes from a flora guy :wink:. All of the blending and stacking looks good to my eye. Superbly crafted image IMO :+1::+1:>=))>

Lovely color John. I like it a lot. Your focus stacking endeavor looks great. I with Bill on raising the brightness of the foreground flowers slightly. Great description of your efforts BTW.

I love your description of the process you went through taking this shot. We write a lot about postprocessing but reveal little about decisions made in taking a shot, the vision. I’m guilty of that myself.

I would raise the exposure a bit on all below the mountains but it’s up to you what you wish to convey. I’m trying to decide if the color balance is a bit too pink. I guess if you look at those lupines they should be blue so perhaps an adjustment would be good to make.

Absolutely beautiful shot, John! Ever the contrarian, I wouldn’t lift the foreground as I think it looks quite natural as-is. I don’t see any issues with the stacking and blending but what did first catch my eye upon deeper inspection were a couple elements in the foreground (circled). If it were my image, I’d probably burn down the slanted blade in the middle and clone out the twig on the right.

Either way, it’s a wall-worthy image.

John,

Just stunning imagery. Guess I’m not the only one who knew this was yours as soon as it popped up. And this one clearly is a signature John Williams image.

I think I’m with Michael and think the foreground luminance is wonderful as presented. The fog and lighting conditions and time of day I’m sure all factor in and I think you did very well in presenting what you experienced.

Thanks for letting us experience more of your imagery.

Lon

Hi John, newbie NPN member here…

Firstly to the story… I really enjoyed reading all of it and helped me feel the sweat and hard work(including making those vital decisions, such as leaving your supper behind) that went into this shot. I wish I could write like you!

Secondly, on the image… Absolutely stunning shot! I love the colours and you were right with the fog, it certainly adds to the mood of the place. As others mentioned it, I too would brighten the flowers just a tad bit. The blending seems spotless as well. All in all, amazing work!

Hi John, It’s been a while since I’ve been on the site and it was lovely to see you’re still here and posting wonderful images from the Northwest. I love the fog, and the colors pop right off the screen. I did see the stems that Michael pointed out. An easy fix on a very nice image. Beautiful work!

Really nice image, John. I like the repost, but I might dial it back a bit toward the original. But this is getting into personal preference, so either or all work quite well. Good to see you posting.

A locvely image with a nice read! :slight_smile: The colors look great to me, and I’m loving that pinkish misty background! I would’ve completely skipped a dinner for this if I had to. :wink:

Nice work John. The cleaned up version is much better, strange how such little things can be such a distraction. Love the title as well.

This is a real beauty, John. Exquisite colors. The reposted looks spot-on to me.

Its very rare to find any meadow flowers in Scotland our farming policy usually ensures that little survives outside of the desired monocrop and I guess the mountain environment in Scotland is a bit on the harsh side save for that tough clinging heather, but this is lovely with the pink tinge on the mountains paying homage to the colour of the flowers.

Lovely image, great story.

Just gorgeous, John. The focus stacking is indeed working well.

Late to the party here, John, but oh wow. Beautifully done.

Even later to the party! John, This is absolutely beautiful work! What a wonderful image!