Pipevine in Spring

From the archives, a little slice of morning light on California pipevine (Aristolochia californica) twining around an old barbed wire in early spring. This makes me happy, remembering the spring beauty in our old place.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

I’ve lost the exif data on this one. It probably was made with a D3100 and the18-55mm kit lens (which was a nice little lens, even though it didn’t get much respect ).

1 Like

Very nice photo. I like this re-natured barb wire :slight_smile:
Also like the small halos on the leaves and vine. So far it is my favorite for this topic.
I am curious did you post process this image - if so how? (I like that the highlights are not too bright or too white and the background is like a watercolor painting and the tones are saturated but not too much and the color range seems simple and balanced - these are all still challenges for me)

@BenM, thanks - glad you like this. I’m sure I did something to this, but probably not much. As I mentioned, it is an older image, and my processing skills at that time weren’t very advanced. If I can find the original, I’ll let you know more. I most likely exposed for the highlights and the wonderful rim light on the leaves, figuring the wire would just go dark. :slight_smile:

Beautiful image, Bonnie. I find the interplay between the hard old rusty wire and the soft green vine fascinating on so many levels. Growing vibrant full of life vine versus cold hard forbidding steel wire. Growing vs restricting. So glad you found and posted it.

@Bonnie_Lampley - I really like the simplicity here and the beautiful soft background. The colors are lovely as is the back/rim lighting. The background really seems to complement the subject.

Bonnie, I’m loving the play on “barbed wire” here, with the extra pipevine “barbs”. Around here, pipevine has become rare along with the swallowtail buttterflies that require it as their egg/caterpillar host plant. The lighting and bokeh in the background look great.