Pisaurina mira

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

aka a Nursery web spider with her egg sac on the side of the garage. Not the best setting, but she’s a big beautiful girl and I couldn’t resist her. She’s fairly large at an inch or so across those legs, but I have photographed a slightly larger one on the other garage. Funny that I find them there. Anyway, this is probably an attempt at putting together a web for the egg sac because I looked again and didn’t see her. Either she was tucked into the siding or moved elsewhere.

Specific Feedback

I’m not crazy about the siding as backdrop, but I tried to make it work. Any other feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

Handheld w/natural light - probably should have gotten the flash or LED, but I didn’t want to spook her more than I already was

Lr for a bit of a crop and work to smooth luminosity and sharpness. It didn’t need much, but it was pretty noisy and so Topaz Denoise AI and that was it.

1 Like

Interesting view with the egg sac and very nice DOF with great detail. The lighting is fine and the siding works well enough, as the spider is a portrait and doesn’t really need a natural setting. She looks like she has strong legs. I trust you will soon have some babies to document.

Kris, we have moved into their environment, so hence we see them with our addition to their world, siding and all. You sure got a fine look at her. Looks like she is looking right into your lens. Spiders that big I might not want to get too close to, unless they were Jumping Spiders! :grinning:

Hi Kris,
this spider looks great. The details are beautiful, the eyes are nice and sharp.
I have to admit, that I first saw the egg sac after reading your description. But it’s definitely a nice detail.

Thanks @Diane_Miller, @Shirley_Freeman & @Jens_Ober - I’m glad the artificial setting isn’t off-putting. We have basically taken over the world so it’s expected, but so many of my macros have these kinds of settings that I’m afraid I’m getting too far away from natural environments.

In terms of spider size, she’s small compared to the girls on our dock. They are also nursery web spiders, but can be 3 inches across their legs with bodies as big as the tip of my thumb. Collectively they and similar species are known as fishing spiders, too. I watched a male try to court one of them and she wasn’t having any and he had to step lively not to be the next meal. Always entertaining our dock spiders. Here’s part of that series - I was sitting on the dock a few feet away.

1 Like

Wow, that is way bigger spider than I care to come in contact with, Kris! Thank you for sharing.

Wow, thanks for the additional shots.
My wife would scream very loudly if she saw a spider that big. :rofl:

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman & @Jens_Ober - I love spiders and so I don’t mind my big girls. They fascinate me. Here’s the other Pisaurina mira I shot a couple years ago on the other garage - she’s a bit bigger - almost 2 inches across those legs -

2 Likes

It’s an awesome image as well. She looks somehow relaxed, enjoying the sun :slight_smile:

Interesting spider Kris and I love seeing the egg sac - cool behavioral shot. Details and color look spot on. She is well placed in the frame also. Nice image.

Thanks @Allen_Sparks - I couldn’t believe I got two spiders, and of different species, with egg sacs this year. A record!!

Kris: Good thing arachnophobia is not a big thing around here or you would be persona non grata! Marvelous captures of these guys/gals. Most excellent. >=))>

Ha! Thanks @Bill_Fach - I didn’t mean to freak anyone out. Personally I love spiders and so can’t help myself with the camera when one seems in the least amenable.