Planetary and the Galaxy

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Owl Nebula (2800 light years) and Cigar Galaxy (12 million Light years) both in the constellation URSA Major. I have always enjoyed photographing these two even as far back as the 70’s

Specific Feedback

I used Pix Insight to post process after stacking with Astro Pixels Processor. The RC tool in PI and Photoshop work well Suggestions welcome.

Technical Details

Used my remote setup in Colorado using the 152mm Lunt Refractor and SBIG 16200). Total exposure time all filters 9hr 15 min.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Wow! That’s a pretty hefty rig! Wonderful quality on the stars! I know these are very small objects, well beyond the reach of my rig, which is about 640mm full-frame equivalent, and covers about 1.5 x 2.2 degrees. I’m wondering what your FOV is here?

Tried to find out, I cannot find a site anymore. FL is 1200 camera is 6un 27x21.6mm 4500x3600 pixels. What’s nice it sits in a remote near Cortez CO about 6 miles north

Remote telescopes are wonderful!! Does plate solving in Astrobin give the FOV?

Just trying to get a quick comparison to my rig – I have 400mm on an APS-C size sensor. You have 3x the focal length and your sensor covers 1.4x the area of mine, so if I’m looking at it right you’re getting about twice the magnification I would? (3 / 1.4) You are magnifying an object to 3x the linear size (height or width) that I am, but spreading it out over a slightly larger sensor.

I think either of your objects would be fuzzy dots with my system. (Not to mention the problem with my average seeing.) I’ll stick to big nebula.

Would love to see more of your galaxies! Have you been using this telescope a while or it is a new thing?

I have been using this setup for about 2 years now. Before was a TAK 180 f/2.8