Plaza Blanca

Rework

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like the power of the weather over the rugged terrain and serenity of the art.
In retrospect, I would prefer the spiral be a bit higher in the frame, not so close to the edge of the frame.

Creative direction

To portray power and reverence.

Specific Feedback

Whatever you wish, positive or otherwise.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5D; Canon EF 16-35mm @ 15mm; f/16 2 1/20 sec, +1 EV, ISO 100, Gitzo tripod; RRS BH 55, Canon RS-80N3 remote switch

Description

A huge stone spiral is the most prominent man-made feature in the central area at the broad end of the valley in Plaza Blanca, near Abiquiu, New Mexico. The source of the stone spiral is not known, but it is generally interpreted by native people to stand for life, power, migration and growth.

1 Like

What a cool scene! I love that spiral, so evocative. I agree with you, it would have been nice to give it a bit more room to breathe, but not a deal breaker!
I think you could get away with a bit less clouds on the top, they don’t add much for me given how much real estate they take up. I think you could also crop some off the right as well. Nice capture.

Thank you @Matt_Payne for your suggestions. I resized thee image but kept the 3x2 format. I think this , might be what you were considering.

I prefer the original. I like BIG skies in Western landscapes.

Thank you @Michael_Lowe for your comments. The area is very big and I preferred to depict it that way—the original post. Others do not always agree with my perception but I sometimes change the image for display on this site to see if they really prefer what they describe when they can see the pair together.